CO2 Tanks - oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisjonesjr

Reaction score
So there I was... picking up my first kegging system from my local brew shop. I put the keg and CO2 tank upright in the back of my PT Cruiser and we are off. The parking there is terrible so I pretty much have to drive over a small portion of the curb. When I do that the bump as a get down off the curb obviously knocks over both my keg and my tank. Thank tank apparently rubs on the box for my keg and opens up just a little.

Just a side note: It's a little cold here right now so I keep my windows rolled up and sunroof closed and covered.

I never expected that tank to make such a loud and crazy sound, it was almost deafening being locked inside the car with it. I'm still getting used to the PT Cruiser, I just bought it and this happened on day 4 of owning it, so I was really fumbley while trying to find the window controls. They are above the radio, that's a weird place for them.

Anyway I had to sit with it screaming at me from the back of the car for about 30+ seconds before I could pull over safely and get out to go shut the thing off. I thought this was an interesting introduction to kegging.

Also I was wondering if I anyone else had any "fun" :( mishaps with there CO2 tank or kegging system in general. Cheers :mug:

Just be thankful you didn't pop the pressure disk. You'd have been in for a (short) wild ride. The cab would have filled up with white smoke and you couldn't have breathed.

Keep those CO2 bottles upright, locked in place, and make sure they don't get knocked over. Keeping the windows down is also a good idea.

MC

I lost my grip on my first CO2 tank as I was walking out of the store with it. Luckily, I made an amazing save and caught it before it hit the ground.

I didn't check my keg seals the first time and lost all of my CO2 when trying to carbonate.

I left the keg and the CO2 tank in the freezer for three days to allow for carbonation.

Well...I was supposed to take this beer to a party the night I discovered it was flatter than a pancake.

I ran to the beer store, got the tank refilled, replaced the seal and then force carbonated the keg in about two and a half hours.

11 guys drank my five gallons of Kolsch in about four hours at the poker game.

Was it because the beer was good....or because it was free?

I pick good.....lol

I once built a kegerator as a wedding gift for a buddy. He lives about 3 hours away, so I loaded the thing up in my truck (upright fridge) had all the rest of my stuff packed and ready to go. I had the full CO2 tank in a box of similar size and had it filled with bubble wrap so that it was snug in the box. The box was sitting in the floor and somehow tipped over. It probably only fell about 3 inches but hit the wall just right and opened the valve. The white haze was spewing everywhere.
The welding shop where I get refills makes you leave the tank overnight for a refill. Since I was needing to hit the road right then my only option was to stop by the welding shop on my way out of town and just buy a new, full tank.

$90 mistake.

abledsoe said:
I once built a kegerator as a wedding gift for a buddy. He lives about 3 hours away, so I loaded the thing up in my truck (upright fridge) had all the rest of my stuff packed and ready to go. I had the full CO2 tank in a box of similar size and had it filled with bubble wrap so that it was snug in the box. The box was sitting in the floor and somehow tipped over. It probably only fell about 3 inches but hit the wall just right and opened the valve. The white haze was spewing everywhere.
The welding shop where I get refills makes you leave the tank overnight for a refill. Since I was needing to hit the road right then my only option was to stop by the welding shop on my way out of town and just buy a new, full tank.

$90 mistake.

The a-holes at the shop couldn't take two minutes to refill it? I understand policy, but I can't believe they wouldn't make an exception! I'd be pissed. Find a new welding shop.

The a-holes at the shop couldn't take two minutes to refill it? I understand policy, but I can't believe they wouldn't make an exception! I'd be pissed. Find a new welding shop.

Yep, they wouldn't help me out. I am actually due for a refill now and plan to try a new place.

wouldn't they at least let you do a tank exchange if they wouldn't fill it

I could've exchanged it for a full one, but I had bought a brand new shiny aluminum tank since I was giving it as a gift and I really didn't want to just give that to the welding shop.

It wasn't horrible because at the time I didn't have a kegging set-up for myself, so I just kept the shiny tank for myself. Already having a tank made it that much easier for me to buy the rest of the crap I needed to start kegging for myself.

Anything that heavy should always be secured in your vehicle, worst-case scenario is a roll over or other collision that sends a 50 pound missile at your head.

Back