Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaumaturgist

Reaction score
I'm wanting to try my first batch of mead, and I was wondering if it was OK to use a better bottle, or should I get a glass carboy?

Use whichever you prefer. There's nothing special about mead that precludes the use of a plastic fermenter.

better bottle would be ok. only real concern would be certain fruits you might use that could stain the plastic a little.

ChillyP said:
What is a 'Better Bottle'?

It is a bottle that is slightly superior to another bottle.

OK, the easy answer is a "water cooler bottle", the big plastic "carboy" shaped food grade plastic clear bottles.

cheezydemon said:
It is a bottle that is slightly superior to another bottle.

OK, the easy answer is a "water cooler bottle", the big plastic "carboy" shaped food grade plastic clear bottles.

Its gotta be PET though.

yep. your average water cooler bottle isn't PET, but that's because its only filled with water.

some guys do brew in water cooler bottles though. many cry bloody murder over it, but the brewers claim their beer tastes fine, so I stay out of it. There's a lot of things you can 'get away with' in brewing, but you'll find that the 'die hard' guys for sanitizing, mash techniques, and certain hardware (pH meters, thermometers) are what help them consistently brew 'great' beer.

Back