Do I really need Nitrogen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashuganabrew

Brewing... could anything be better?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've just spent a load of money of Nitrogen equipment only to find out I can't get it here.... is it worth driving 5 hours round trip to get it every other month?

I've just spent a load of money on Nitrogen equipment, only to find out I can't get it here? Is it worth keeeping it? Is it worth the 5 hour round trip every other month?

Oh that sux....5 hrs is closest place to get it....you sure????

Guess its up to you.....I suppose if you really want to use it then it might be worth investing in as big of a bottle as possible so you dont have to make as many trips for it.......

I am perfectly content dispensing my stout on co2, so I have no need/desire for a nitro setup. But if it's important to you, especially if you've bought all the equipment, only you can decide if you really need it.

yeah, I'm sure... I've spent the entire day calling and driving to every gas distributor in WV and eastern OH. Closest places are going to be Columbus or Pitsburgh and I haven't even found a distributor in either place yet. unfortunatley I've already purchased a 5 gallon tank, I'll call tomorrow to see if I can return it. I've never tried beer off of Nitrogen (not knowingly) so I don't know the advantages other than the better foam and cascading stouts. I just have a few stouts and porters ready to keg and wanted to give it a go. Any and All opinions on the pros (or cons) would be appreciated.
:mad:

I do not keg myself.....but i can tell you this.

I am a Guiness drinker....and when they changed the Bottles to be CO2 and got rid of the Nitrogen torpedo....I was very upset....now I only buy the Draught Cans...which still have the nitrogen torpedo.

When I do start kegging....I plan on nitrogen for my stouts...i am a huge stout fan.....but I will be sure to check on N2 availability myself.

I wouldnt use nitrogen for any other beer styles myself.

mashuganabrew, I know that Matheson/Valley has it here in Columbus. I'm in the welding business call on all on most of the industrial gas distributors in a 6 states including W.V. I think I can help you out if you would like.

I do not keg myself.....but i can tell you this.

I am a Guiness drinker....and when they changed the Bottles to be CO2 and got rid of the Nitrogen torpedo....I was very upset....now I only buy the Draught Cans...which still have the nitrogen torpedo.

When I do start kegging....I plan on nitrogen for my stouts...i am a huge stout fan.....but I will be sure to check on N2 availability myself.

I wouldnt use nitrogen for any other beer styles myself.

I've had IPAs on nitrogen, and they are great. But I don't miss having a nitro set up for myself. It's really up to each person to decide what they need.

Without a nitro set up, my oatmeal stout is still great due to the flaked barley and oats that I add to get a creamy mouthfeel and a creamy head. But with it would it be even better? maybe. But I don't really care enough to invest in the nitro set up.

mashuganabrew, I know that Matheson/Valley has it here in Columbus. I'm in the welding business call on all on most of the industrial gas distributors in a 6 states including W.V. I think I can help you out if you would like.

I may be in Cbus on Wednesday anyway, so if you have their contact info that would be great... course I'm sure I can find them on the internet too... Thanks for the info! I'll call them before I return everything. I do make a lot of stouts so, it might be good to keep the equipment if I can. Thanks for the info all!

I feel like you would have to go through keg after keg of stout to need the tank filled every other month. Anyway, maybe look harder for a nitro source? There has to be something closer to you. Heck Columbus, Ohio is 2 hours from you (so 4 hr round trip) and I know CBus has several places that you could fill nitrogen.

Personally, I keg on co2 and spent $$ on a nitro set up (love it!). Know that a decent sized bottle of nitrogen (80cf), served around 30psi+ with a stout faucet, will last you about three 5 gallon kegs (if luck is on your side). Now, 80cf is a big bottle! This same size bottle on co2 could last me 20+ co2 (5-gal) kegs!

Is it worth it? Well, I think co2 inhibits the beer taste and experience… I know, arguably so, but I just don’t like co2 in my beer! I shake or swill all beers! Just to get that annoying co2 crap out of the way... but, I don't care much for a flat beer unless it's a STOUT!

So personally, when severing a stout I don’t want co2 to be noticeable, but it does add body to the beer; though I think nitrogen adds a fuller experience to the beer and the nice black and tan we all look for. Note that nitrogen is not soluble at temps we serve in so it’s just to “push” the beer out. So I guess it’s what you want out of your beer / cider / whatever you’re pushing.

OP, do any bars in your area serve Guinness Draught? If so, you might inquire who supplies their beer gas.

Also, when you call around, be sure to mention beer gas. Asking for nitrogen gets different results.

Yep, I've been asking for beer gas, although, I know I'm in trouble when I have to expleain what beer gas is..... LoL.. they all think I'm a loon or that I'm building a Meth lab...

Dude, holly mother of multiple posts 3 for the same question.

yes, beer + frustration + open source information = impatient and type crazy brewer... thanks for the info on the other posts though! (also I've noticed you get different responses depending on how you word your inquiries)

yes, beer + frustration + open source information = impatient and type crazy brewer... thanks for the info on the other posts though! (also I've noticed you get different responses depending on how you word your inquiries)

you also get vets and knowledgeable people to ignore you.

If you're only running like one keg off of nitro, it *could* be worth it depending on how huge of a bottle you get and how much you want to impress your buddies :)

Carbonate to around 1 volume with CO2. Serve on pure nitrogen or pure argon. It takes a long time for the pour to be adversely affected (so far, for me, at least several weeks - and I've never had a keg last long enough to prove that it will ever go flat without blended gas). If it ever does go a bit flat, force carbonate again.

Yep, I've been asking for beer gas, although, I know I'm in trouble when I have to expleain what beer gas is..... LoL.. they all think I'm a loon or that I'm building a Meth lab...

Ha! I’ve had the same thing asking at my welding gas filler even though they know what my 5# co2 tank is for.

I can get beergas at another place but it’s a lot more expensive; argon is cheaper… N being the cheapest

I think your biggest problem might be your bottle size. When I first started looking no one wanted to mess around with a small cylinder. They wanted to exchange for the five foot tall one which was a more common size one used in the food and beverage industry. After 3 months of figuring this out and hitting multiple dead ends I was able to trade my new 20 lb co2 bottle for an equivalent steel bottle. This took finding the area vp for air gas and getting him to pencil whip the uneven cylinder exchange.

My experience with that industry is the would much rather sell something familiar to a welder than sell weird gas mix in an odd size bottle because they do not know how to order it in their system. Once you get them to do one exchange it is a simple matter to get them to order one a week out and have it there for you when your bottle dies.

Do not ask for it too early as there is a chance the bottle could leak in the yard when the guys move the bottle and crack the valve. (A tip the local guys told me)

I live 5 hours from the fill plant but they have a truck that makes a run once a week. Remember you are the odd ball so find out when they place the order to the fill plant and call early that day to remind them. They forgot my order three weeks until I figured this out. Remember you are not a big corporate account that comes in and orders 20 bottles. You are about as low a priority as it gets.

Find someone at your local store (prefer a manager) that likes beer and bribe him with a nice 6 or 12 pack of cream ale. Make labels and put "Made specifically for my good friend "insert name"". Tell them why you want it. Show them pics of your beer.

This sounds corny but you would be amazed at what you can get done by showing up in person being friendly and offering beer or taking flowers. It is very easy to say no over the phone. It's hard to look a worn out home brewer and tell him face to face that his dreams of making creamy nitrogen beer are never going to happen.

Anyways that's how it went for me. Now I have a bottle that should last a year and my nitro oatmeal stouts and porters ARE THE CATS ASS on nitro.

Hope this helps you in your quest my friend. Stay strong *brofist*

This sounds corny but you would be amazed at what you can get done by showing up in person being friendly and offering beer or taking flowers. It is very easy to say no over the phone. It's hard to look a worn out home brewer and tell him face to face that his dreams of making creamy nitrogen beer are never going to happen.

I think if I brought my gas fill guys at the welding station flowers I’d get beat up! They are some big burly guys (that shower once a week?)… somewhat friendly but lacking in the social dept. Any case, I try not to piss them off and I think flowers might do that.

For me it was not the burly guys at the counter that placed the order. It was the lady in the back office.

Sorry for the confusion.

Beer for the guys at the desk.

Flowers for the lady that actually places the order at the fill plant.

If the ordering lady happens to be a guy. The start with beer. If he is a little light in the pants then you may consider flowers. 8)

Carbonate to around 1 volume with CO2. Serve on pure nitrogen or pure argon. It takes a long time for the pour to be adversely affected (so far, for me, at least several weeks - and I've never had a keg last long enough to prove that it will ever go flat without blended gas). If it ever does go a bit flat, force carbonate again.

Good info! Thanks!

Back