Using 1 gallon carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett1341

Reaction score
I've been thinking of grabbing a handful of 1 gallon carboys and experimenting with my 5 gallon batches using different strains of yeast, fermentation temperatures, dry hopping, etc., to start learning about the impact of certain techniques on the final beer.

Any input from people who have or are doing this would be appreciated.

This is a very popular method! I say go for it. Experimenting with yeasts and other post-wort-production factors are the easiest (most popular) ways to do it.

I would have to say that yeast is your most important ingredient- do some research and learn how to treat your yeast nicely. Your beers will reward you. Do a very simple batch (SMaSH = single malt and single hop) and then split it among a variety of yeasts for a HUGE revelation. This is also the easiest way to vary your fermentation factors. Treat each jug the same and see how you like them! Be sure to report back so others can learn from your findings.

I have been thinking about doing the same thing.
I thought I could experiment with yeast, Dry hopping and adding some peppers.
I have two or three gallon jugs to use.
I wish I had a couple two gallon jugs so that I could do a gallon or a little more at a time with with the yeast.
I will find a good deal on something a little bigger than a gallon if I'm patient.

'Round these parts, we don't call them "one gallon carboys," we call them cider/cheap wine jugs. :cross:

I use the wine jugs for fermentation because they are five liter jugs, so about 1.25 gallons, so you get some room for headspace. The one gallon juice/wine jugs would be fine for secondary aging since krausen isn't an issue.

If you wanted to break down even further the 64oz growlers with screw top lids will work the same way. Both the wine jugs and growlers take the same size drilled stopper for an airlock (6, I believe).

There is not a lot of headspace in these. Do you need to use a blow off tube or just an airlock?

Your best bet for five gallons is to have at least six one gallon jugs.
I use either a 6 1/2 or 8 gallon bucket to ferment in. I wouldn't want less headspace than that.
The eight gallon one is nice for brews that are going to be active.

If your using a violent yeast like notty...you'll need a blow off. 05 should be fine and of course, lagers will definitely be in the clear. There is a thread on here by someone who did exactly what you are talking about and posted his results. Can't remember the name of the member or thread but try some searching.

Back