Long conditioning, and the perfect pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
An imperial stout that I brewed has excellent flavor and perfect carbonation out of the bottle. I carbed it with 1/4 cup of brown sugar in 4.5 gallons.
I intentionally shot low because I planned to condition it for 6 months, and, for the style, I wanted little carbonation.

When I pour it into a glass and let it foam and create a head, the resulting beer tastes less flavorful and flat.

Durrrrrrr... probably just a little low on the sugar, right? (please no one lecture me on kegging, I know I know)

Is a stout meant to be poured and foamed up? I am completely ignorant I must confess.

I had found that my IPA and my Mutt(1/2 american amber, 1/2 robust porter) greatly improve when poured into a glass and allowed to foam up to a nice head.

I suppose I should calculate future batches to be good from the glass, not the bottle?

This batch is being enjoyed from the bottle, but I miss the head........
(did I really say that?):mug: cheers.

cheezydemon said:
Is a stout meant to be poured and foamed up? I am completely ignorant I must confess.

I suppose I should calculate future batches to be good from the glass, not the bottle?

Yep - too little carbonation, by the time you have your head, all th CO2 is out of the beer.

I think most people pour into a glass so as not to arouse the yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle. At least I do.

Back