Dunkelweizen Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
My Dunkelweizen has been in primary for 9 days. It started at OG 1.044. Airlock activity may have stopped around day 5 or 6. I used Wyeast 3068 with a starter and fermentation seemed to start within 12 hours. I kept temps around 64-66F and two days ago took it out of my cool brew. Temps are stable at 68F now.

When would be a good time to start taking FG readings? I had planned to let it set in Primary for 21 days but was wondering if there is a benefit to let it sit for three weeks? After reading some ales are better left 3 weeks. But then I read somewhere Wheats were fine with 2 weeks.

Would it be just as well to bottle after 14days if hydrometer readings are stable. I don't mind letting it sit if it makes the beer better.

Thanks

If hydrometer readings are stable, it's ok to go ahead and bottle it after 2 weeks. Weizen's tend to finish fast and that's a lower OG so 2 weeks is probably plenty.

Dunkelweizen is my favorite style. I brew it several times per year. I never primary more than two weeks, but I do secondary for a week or two depending on how patient I am. That being said, I don't think an extra week in primary is necessary. The secondary is also probably not needed but it makes me feel better. It sounds like you had a good healthy and vigorous fermentation so you could take FG readings to be sure and bottle at any point.

Assuming its reached FG 2 weeks and then bottle is fine. Dunkel should be consumed young and that style does not benefit being clear

Thanks. I'll Check reading Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Then Bottle Sunday if everthing checks out. That would be 14 Days in Primary.

I typically keep my weizens in primary for about 10 days then force carb for another 10 and start drinking!!

Back