Beer Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaseyvinterberg

Reaction score
The Germans are really aware of diverse beer styles. While ordering their beer, they hardly ever request for it by its brand name. Rather they will ask for a beer by its style description, like they will ask for a Pils, an Alt, a Kölsch, a Weissbier, a Helles or a Dunkel, etc. The various styles of beer may depend on your vocabulary and knowledge on beer style, but as per the information available there are possibly amid two to five dozen beer styles in Germany. Some people consider Bockbier for example Heineken, Leinenkugel '1888 Bock', which are defined as the heaviest and maltiest, yet smoothest, brews in the world, which a broad style that comprises many subcategories, such as the stronger Doppelbock and the even stronger Eisbock, while others count each of these brews as a separate style.
Similarly, the big family of yeast-turbid German wheat ales, called Weissbiers or Hefeweizens, has a clear, filtered flavor. German beer making has taken different paths in different parts of the country. Broadly speaking, beers become maltier as you travel from north towards south and hoppier as you travel from south to north. Beers like Becker, Rex Pils, Kotsberg etc. and many northern Pils varieties depend on somewhat zesty hop variety called Tettnanger for their up-front forcefulness.
Still, with such a great variety of beer styles, there is usually a beer for just about any mood and any occasion.

My last trip there I spent two weeks in a small town where hardly anyone spoke English. I ordered beer by saying "dunkel bier", the waitress would ask something in German, I would just smile, then she would bring me some of the best beer that I have ever had.

Back