Brewing a Belgian Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6286

Reaction score
I'm making a Belgian wheat beer tonight and was looking over the instructions. For the last 10 minutes of the boil, it says to use coriander and orange peel. Do I just put these in my muslin bag along with the hops, or should they be added directly to the wort? Any help is appreciated.

I just throw them in. I'm kind of an anti-muslin bag brewer.

PT Ray said:
I just throw them in. I'm kind of anti-muslin bag brewer.

Will I need to strain them or will they dissolve in the wort? I haven't had to use a strainer yet and I'm not sure I have one. Thanks

When my wife brewed her BB summer ale on Saturday,we bagged everything,including the grains. The flavor hops & citrus peel/spice blend went in separate hop sacks,even though they go into the boil at the same time. Last 15mins of boil,then aroma hop steeped for 5 mins. Yeah,almost forgot you have to put the coriander (Indian is supposed to be best) in a zip lock back & crush it with a mallet or meat tenderizer. The grain/hop sacks work very well,& make clean up way easier,since you don't need a strainer.

Will I need to strain them or will they dissolve in the wort?

Handle it like you would trub. Depending on your setup you can leave it behind in the kettle or in the primary when you rack.

The coriander came crushed. I'm not sure if putting the coriander and orange peel in for the last ten minutes would suffice. I really want to be able to notice these flavors as opposed to them being very subtle so I might put them in for the last 15 minutes instead.

Yeah,the BB instructions said to put the citrus/spice combo in the last 15 mins. It smells pretty good so far. Maybe keep coriander & orange peel in separate bags.? I always think one might overpower the other if mixed.?...

unionrdr said:
Yeah,the BB instructions said to put the citrus/spice combo in the last 15 mins. It smells pretty good so far. Maybe keep coriander & orange peel in separate bags.? I always think one might overpower the other if mixed.?...

Separate muslin bags? If so, I may have to pick up a couple I only have one right now. Thanks for the advice.

Just spoke with a guy from Midwest Supplies and he said to get more flavor, boil the coriander and orange peel less. So, instead of boiling for the last 10 minutes, only boil for 5. I assumed it was the other way around.

I'm reading a lot of different opinions on when and how long to steep the orange peel and coriander. The coriander came crushed and it looks like cinnamon. The guy from Midwest said to throw it right into the wort but I've read that leaving coriander and orange peel in will result in overwhelming flavors. My lhbs is closed today so if I decide to steep them in a muslin bag, I can't buy any today. I only have one muslin bag which will be used for the grains and hops. Any advice on what to do would be great.

Just spoke with a guy from Midwest Supplies and he said to get more flavor, boil the coriander and orange peel less. So, instead of boiling for the last 10 minutes, only boil for 5. I assumed it was the other way around.

Yeah, when I did my two Belgian Wit's I only boiled the peel and corriander for 5 minutes and the taste was amazing - nice and present. Oh, and I didn't use any bags for it, I just threw it in, but I do strain going from kettle to fermenter.

Rev.

Back