Accidentally boiled twice as many hops in a 2.5 gallon batch, didnt boil half of mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgerard

Reaction score
This is only my third AG batch, I like to split 5 gallon recipes into 2-2.5 gallon recipes because 1) I can use my mr beer fermentors 2) I can mess with the recipes a bit and 3) I only have to bottle about 25 instead of 50 beers at a time.

Last night everything was going well with a hefeweizen I was brewing, until it was time for hops additions. instead of adding a half oz to my half batch, I added the whole oz!! So I freaked out a bit then cleaned 2 of my mr beer fermentors and cooled and split the hoppy wort between the two.

I then mashed the 2nd half of the grains and raised to 170 for mash out. Cooled, then split between the 2 fermentors.

I didn't boil the 2nd half of the mash, and I am concerned I ruined my beer. How important is boiling for things other than clarity? Is it ruined?

Boiling is more for sterilization and hop utilization than clarity. How long was it at 170? It''s possible that you pasteurized it in doing so. I think that it's too soon to make any judgements, but if you didn't kill the nasties then I'd wager you'll find out pretty quickly.

Otherwise, it's too late to do anything about it anyway so just relax.

...grain is lousy with nasties, but I'm not sure which ones.

I would not do anything now. Just post results.

Boiling wort also denatures unwelcomed microorganisms, sterilizes the solution, in addition to denaturing the mash enzymes and locking down the sugar matrix. the boil is also where the chemistry takes place from the hops.

Batch #2 may turn out fine, or, it may develope a film over the top that indicates a becterial infection.

I started the mash around 157 and it dropped to 150 after an hour. Then I took it to 170 for about 10 minutes before cooling it and adding it to the fermenters with already hopped wort, yeast already pitched.

Thanks for the quick response I will definitely relax and observe. I was pretty stressed after 6 hours in the kitchen last night mistake after mistake. >_<

Its only been about 13 hours since I finished last night, but this is some of the fastest fermentation I've seen yet! Nothing on the top but lots of foam and a few blueberries from the can I added! (Won't do much now since only 1 lb of berries got split between both batches).

Hopefully the yeasties can get their fill before anything else does. Judging by the rate that bubbles are rising to the top I think they are doing serious work. I will keep updating.

Nothing you can do now but wait. If something's wrong you'll find out eventually. I believe this is when you RDWHAHB.

Once it has carbonated, keep it cold. A lacto infection is your most likely problem and the bacteria don't do well below 40F.

So far it looks good! Still actively fermenting, so much that the roommates are complaining the living room stinks!

No visual signs of infection yet! Looks like fermentation has slowed to a hault.

Getting ready to bottle. No signs of infection still whatsoever! However I was planning on trying a blueberry hefeweizen but I only used one can of blueberries in light syrup in 5 gals. Can I just add blueberry extract from my local grocery store to the bottles while adding priming sugar?

I reckon you might explode the bottles if you do that. For safety's sake I would just add the priming sugar.

It tastes delicious! I poured it holding the cap on loosely to keep the bigger blueberry pieces out of the glass. Such a relief to have 4 gallons of a great springtime beer!

Thank you for the help!

ForumRunner_20110426_162500.jpg

I have a hard time reading this because you still use Mr. Beer kegs. I'm not bad mouthing them, but if you really want to split a 5 gallon batch, why not step up to a 6 gallon batch and split it between 2, 3 gallon glass carboys? You can see what's going on etc.....as for messing up with a ton of hops.....well, change the style instead....

Finances and space in my campus house don't permit carboys... plus I've only been at it for about a year I want something to look forward to.

ercscotty said:
I have a hard time reading this because you still use Mr. Beer kegs. I'm not bad mouthing them, but if you really want to split a 5 gallon batch, why not step up to a 6 gallon batch and split it between 2, 3 gallon glass carboys? You can see what's going on etc.....as for messing up with a ton of hops.....well, change the style instead....

I use fermentation buckets and mr. Beer kegs, glass is too fragile for me. It's also great to not have to use the autosiphon or bottle 50 beers at once, like the OP said.

OP would drink these pretty quick (I'm sure you will) cause grains are real nasty. You certainly didn't even bother fungal spores with 170* for 10 min. On that note my ferm chamber had some trichoderma viride growing on some spilled wort. Gotta bleach that sucker now.

Back