AHS Sunshine Wheat (New Belgium)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

au1991rx

Reaction score
So we are in Colorodo a few weeks ago and I had to try the real Fat Tire while I was there. It did not last long and then I tried New Belgiums Sunshine Wheat and it was very good, my wife liked it alot. Anyway, I order ther kit from AHS to give it a try. The kit includes 1/4 ouce crushed coriander and 1/4 ounce sweet orange peel. Now I have had a beer before with the orange/coriander, I think it was a Blue Moon, anyway it was not one of my favorite tastes. I understand belgian ales are somewhat of an aquired taste. Anyway, the Sunshine Wheat we tried in Colorodo did not have any orange/coriander flavors and since I really do not like this taste I was going to leave it out or cut it down to 1/3 of the specified amount. Does anyone else who has tried this beer think it should have this in it?? Sould I add any of it?? Is the kit accurate?? Any suggestions... Thanks.

See if you can find a beer called Hoegaarden. It's relatively common, I think that has the best orange corriander flavor out there, and I'm not crazy about blue moon either. You may end up liking the Hoegaarden, I think that your kit will be most like that one. I've never had that Sunshine Wheat before though.

Thanks for the replies. That link above made me thirsty, good info. Since I did not recall that flavor it surprised me it was in there. I ended up putting 1/2 the amount of orange/coriander asked for in the recipe because I wimped out and did not want to take a chance. I should just trust the guys at AHS. I will also look for some Hoegaarden, thanks for the suggestion, because that Blue Moon was just too strong for me...

Definitely give Hoegaarden a try. I fell in love with it overseas and have had a hard time getting it locally. I have one left in the fridge, and I might just have to pop the top after reading this...

4688-hoegaarden.JPG

I think the kit is missing one key ingredient "1 cup Fruity Pebbles". I didn't like Sunshine Wheat. It did have a fruity taste, so if you liked it add the Corriander and Orange Peel

Back