Sub for Toasted Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiodad

Reaction score
Dude's Lake walk pale ale calls for 2lbs of toasted 2 row malt. No time to toast tonight. Anyone see a problem with subbing Victory?

You can toast in 30 minutes? That's what Yuri does. Toasts it, mills it, dumps it in the mash.

I thought with toasting you were supposed to let it rest for a week or so before you used it. I gather it was to drive off undesirable compounds produced during toasting.

I thought with toasting you were supposed to let it rest for a week or so before you used it. I gather it was to drive off undesirable compounds produced during toasting.

That's what Palmer says, but Yuri (or was it BierMuncher) told me that they toast and go. I used mine the next day and the Wounded IPA came out tasty and the toasted pale was like grapenuts. I swear I'm gonna have some for breakfast one day. :D

I used Victory in my version of LWPA and it turned out great. I don't grind my own, so couldn't do the toasting dance.

That's what Palmer says, but Yuri (or was it BierMuncher) told me that they toast and go. I used mine the next day and the Wounded IPA came out tasty and the toasted pale was like grapenuts. I swear I'm gonna have some for breakfast one day. :D
I'll have to try that next time (toasting on demand, not toasted malt for breakfast :D), I hate thinking ahead.

I made the LWPA a while back, I just toasted, let it cool a bit, then brewed. It came out awesome, I don't really see a need to wait a week.

Back