Suggested hop pairings for Galaxy and Mosaic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are some suggestions of other hops to use, along with Galaxy and/or Mosaic hops?

I'll be brewing my 2nd beer, an IPA just over 6%. For Galaxy, I've heard they're best in a mix with other hops. The three beers I've tried that I know contain Galaxy hops, an IPA, a 4.8% pale ale, and a barleywine, all were outstanding. I'm not sure if the galaxy pale ale uses other hops or not, but the other two definitely do.

For options, I have: cascade, bravo, summit, simcoe, citra, mosaic, and columbus.

Very curious about ideas for Mosaic, as well.

Thanks! :mug:

I am on my second version of a Galaxy Pale Ale - bittered with Chinook, used Galaxy,Centennial, and Cascade for various flavor/aroma additions, and I have a hard time putting the pint glass down. After one more version of some slight modifications(mostly color related), it's going to be my "house" pale ale I have on hand at all times. Good luck!

Both of those sound amazing!
I'm brewing this right now, and used an ounce of galaxy as a mash hop (I realized this may be a bit of a waste), and an ounce of summit at 60 min. for bittering.

I used the rest of my Columbus to dry-hop my amber ale, so I decided to try 1 oz. Mosaic at 15 min. and I like the way it smells and tastes. I'm going to use an ounce of Galaxy at flameout, and likely dry hop with Galaxy and possibly more Mosaic?

I am on my second version of a Galaxy Pale Ale - bittered with Chinook, used Galaxy,Centennial, and Cascade for various flavor/aroma additions, and I have a hard time putting the pint glass down. After one more version of some slight modifications(mostly color related), it's going to be my "house" pale ale I have on hand at all times. Good luck!

Do you happen to have a recipe for this by any chance?

Just my 2 cents, Galaxy is a strong hop that will lend an exotic citrus aroma, but used too strongly in late additions or dry hopping I have found it to be excessively skunked or skanky tasting. And bittering with it is not the best idea, it has a harsh bitterness to my tongue. So definitely a blend is the way to go. I blended it with Simcoe on one batch, and it was kind of "skunk, meet skunk". Hey, it's gone so it wasn't too bad. But the cascade pairing might be a better way to go.

Try Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA. It's all mosaic hopped. Still tasted the usual grapefruit,but not as powerully as the "C" hops. It also has qualities of German & English hops,like east kent golding & haulertauer mittelfruh to me. Damn good hop flavor,I'm gunna go back to my LHBS & get some while he still has'em. Got me to thinking about a PM mosaic IPA myself.:tank:

I have three different recipes I can send you. It would be easiest if you could PM me an email address that I could send them too.

HokieHomeBrewer said:
Do you happen to have a recipe for this by any chance?

Huh. I read the neck label & looked like it ment that was the flavor of the mosaic hop. Saved that page for the hops used alone...My PM Maori IPA should be ready & in the fridge by 6/16.Can't wait to see how my new malt profile works withe NZ hops. Was thinking of using the same malt profile with the lat48 hops.

I have done four batches of a Galaxy APA. 3 batches used Galaxy hops only. Very little for bittering since the AA is pretty high. The other batch used Glacier for bittering and then Galaxy for later additions. All have turned out fine and I have tried a few variations with steeping grains. Honey malt balanced some of the tartness well.

I think some of the other NZ varieties like Motueka (lemon, lime, tropical) would be nice with Galaxy. Pacific Jade has an oddly "Skittles" like flavor/aroma that might work too. Though Galaxy alone is a great IPA hop; think Schlafly's TIPA or Clown Shoes Galactica. Both excellent IPAs.

Hi.

I'm currently drinking an Ipa made with Motueka, centennial and galaxy. It used just a little galaxy that I had left over, as a late addition. The other two hops were added about fifty, fifty throughout.

The end result is delicious: stone fruit and citrus with a piney finish. I would definitely use this combo again.

Back