Boil Pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcbrown

Reaction score
New to the brew, here...

Trying to decide between buying a 4 gal stainless pot and using my gas stove top, or spending a little bit more for a turkey fryer...would love any insight.

For extracts,including those with steeping grains,the 4 gallon SS BK would be fine for partial boils of 2.5-3 gallons. And the gas stove is def better than electric. But even the SS 4 gallon boils lidless where my 5 gallon needs a lid on the same electric stove with the same volume.
But if you want it to boil faster,get a gas outdoor burner & a 8 gallon BK. I'm thinking of using my 5 gallon SS BK on one.
The 5 gallon SSBK is good all the way up to partial mash.

If I only had those two choices, I would definitely go with the turkey fryer kit. A four gallon pot limits you to small batches or partial boils. I know I would find myself upgrading again very shortly if I had to do partial boils. You'll probably also need to purchase a wort chiller if you don't have one already.

I agree with going for the turkey fryer. Very worth it in the long run. A wort chiller isn't necessary. Nice to have? Definitely. Will an ice bath do the trick? You betcha. I'm not saying you shouldn't get a wort chiller, I'm just saying you don't need one to brew good beer.

I am not sure how much turkey fryers are in your area but they average a good $55-65 which in reality is not all that much especially since youre getting 54,000 BTU (Give or take depending on the model) Which would be perfect for batches big and small but I would suggest saving up a little bit more for this $80

http://www.homebrewing.org/14-Propane-Burner--220000-BTU_p_1190.html

thats the burner I have, 220,000 BTU so it can do my small batches and it can do my large batches (upgraded my set-up to a 9 gallon brew kettle) whenever I am able to make it to a good 25 gallon set up.

However, if you have any local thrift stores poke your nose in there. My first BK that I still use today is a 5 gallon stock pot I picked up for like $7 untill I was able to afford the large propane burner. That way you can brew while saving (the hardest thing on earth to do for me)

+1 for thrift stores! I got a Coleman outdoor propane burner from my local Goodwill store for $14.

New to the brew, here...

Trying to decide between buying a 4 gal stainless pot and using my gas stove top, or spending a little bit more for a turkey fryer...would love any insight.

Get the turkey fryer:

Home Depot has a nice big one for $60... not much more than you'd pay for a stainless steel kettle.

Home Depot Turkey Fryer

Pie_Man said:
If I only had those two choices, I would definitely go with the turkey fryer kit. A four gallon pot limits you to small batches or partial boils. I know I would find myself upgrading again very shortly if I had to do partial boils. You'll probably also need to purchase a wort chiller if you don't have one already.

Partial boils? Would that be say dividing my grain in half, then boiling a 2 gallon pot, pouring it in my 5 gallon bucket, then boiling 2 more gallons with the remaining grains?

Partial boils? Would that be say dividing my grain in half, then boiling a 2 gallon pot, pouring it in my 5 gallon bucket, then boiling 2 more gallons with the remaining grains?

Not quite. A partial boil would be boiling all of your extract/grains in (for example) 2.5 gallons of water, then topping off the fermenter to a full 5 gallons after the boil right before you pitch the yeast. With a large enough kettle you can boil the entire volume (called a full boil).

evrose said:
Not quite. A partial boil would be boiling all of your extract/grains in (for example) 2.5 gallons of water, then topping off the fermenter to a full 5 gallons after the boil right before you pitch the yeast. With a large enough kettle you can boil the entire volume (called a full boil).

Got it! That sounds like the route I may go with this being my first ever batch. Thanks!

I started with partial boils on the stove in a 5 gallon pot. I would not suggest going any smaller even for partial boils.

BTW most ingredient kits are for partial boils.

I then got the turkey fryer. It is 30qt or 7 gallons. For a full boil 5 gallon batch that filled the pot to about 1.5 inches from the top. Avoiding a boil over meant you had to watch constantly until quite a bit had boiled off.

I then went to a 10 gallon pot and a Bayou Classic SP-10 burner and I still have to watch at the beginning of the boil to avoid boil overs.

My advice - get the biggest pot you can afford.

Go stainless from the start. Buy as big as you can afford. I am not a fan of partial boils.

I've been brewing all grain for the past 5 years. Never went stainless, never will. I spent $70 on a thick gauge 20 gallon aluminum pot. Never looking back either.

Where did you fine a 80 quart aluminum for $70 bucks?
I know a place to get them around $80.

Local swap meet. Sold as a "temale steamer" -- I haggled him down from $100. It was the biggest kettle he had. Very thick-walled pot. Bargain fittings weldless ball valve.

DSC01256.jpg

Back