Red Ale Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

I'm planning a red ale for my next brew, and was curious what grains I could use in my infusion mash to achieve a very pronounced red color, I'll be using a gold LME base.

Thanks again.

About 10% of the grain bill in crystal 60 (about 1lb for a typical 5 gallon batch) and 2.5% crystal 120 (about 0.25lbs for a typical 5 gallon batch) steeped as specialty grains will give you a good red color.

Also, when it comes to red/amber ales, a longer boil will lead to a richer, deeper color, so you may want to plan on a 90 min. boil to help with the color as well.

I'd use an oz or 2 of dehusked carafa III works like a charm and doesn't impart that roasty character like the roasted barley. Also since it's dehusked it doesn't have the astringency of say a black patent.

In addition to the 7 lbs of base marris otter malt, I added 12 oz crystal 40, 2 oz of special B, and 2 oz of roasted barley. Nice red color for my Irish Red. Unfortunately its aging in my keg now, so I don't have much taste history yet.

I would also recommend the small addition of carafa III to get the color right. You could also use black patent or chocolate but both will give you a little roast or astingency.

Back