Good yeast. Complex to compliment this beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
I need ideas for a good yeast to use on this beer. if I have 63% brewhouse eff. it'll be about 10.2% or so but if I get 84% it'll be up to 14.1 ish. I plan on making a starter, then splitting that up, making 2 big starters. @ full krausen I'm pitching the first. When action stops I'm going to rack to 2nd check the gravity and if I'm satisfied I'm going to toss in just a little bit so when it comes time to bottle I'll get carbonation. But if it's not there yet I'm going to pitch that starter too. I am going to shoot for 150*F mash temp. If I could get more ROGUE PACMAN I'd use that. I have 2 baggies left... not sure what i'm saving them for but don't want to use them up quite yet. But since I don't I'm looking for something that will make this beer rock! Something that might add another level of flavor. I need some suggestions for this massive beer. And I want a different yeast too. No 1056. It's a nice yeast, just bored with it.

ok, nuts and bolts!

6 gallons
18.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 65.45 %
2.00 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
2.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.64 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.64 %
1.00 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.64 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.82 %
2.00 oz Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 38.6 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
2.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
2.00 oz Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
2.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.3 IBU

and I will dry hop with 1oz each of crystal, sorachi ace and willamette.
Definately a GO BIG OR GO HOME beer... hehehehe!!!!!!

Given the complexity of the grain bill and hopping, I suspect the contribution of most yeasts would be overwhelmed. Also, most won't handle 14%. I start my barleywines with a Scottish ale yeast. That fades around 12%, so I'll pitch champaign yeast to finish them. I haven't tried it, but Wyeast 3787 - Trappist High Gravity might be an good choice.

I'm leaning the other way - that's a complex enough recipe, I'd go the clean route.

BTW - FOUR pounds of caramel malts, plus another two pounds of carafoam? Methinks this beer's going to have the viscosity of mollases. Boy, good luck with this...

I'm with Bird -- that is one heavy grainbill. If you are serious about brewing that recipe, I say pitch Pacman and do everything you can to get it ferment clean and attenuate as much as possible.

What do you think about using 3942 Belgian Wheat, nice tasty one, then if it ferments completely out or not tossing champagne yeast on it. I've heard champagne yeast dries stuff out, BIG TIME. I was planning on tossing some in to finish it up after getting whatever yeast to attenuate anyhow. Hence 4lbs caramel and 2lbs carafoam. Gotta have some body left after champagne yeast rocks it's world!:D But what about 3942? it should last up to 12%, maybe 13%ish if I split the starter and double pitch...? BTW, david, what yeast do you do your barleywines with? 1728? What kind of flavors does that produce?

Did one with 1728 and one with WLP028. Quite frankly, I can't identify anything in the barleywine directly attributable to the yeast. I have Peat Smoked malt in my recipe and that dominates any fruitiness. I use the Scottish yeast for the residual maltiness and the fact that it doesn't mute the hops.

I suggest a high-residual-diacetyl ale yeast to start, and once the gravity drops to within 1% of the toxicity level (max alcohol the yeast will tolerate) then pitch a packet of Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast, which should dry it right out to barleywine without adding any off tastes.

If you want to pitch the Pacman, pitch the Pacman. This sounds like a good time to start working up a yeast bank thing. (now that I've said it, I should start it too!). You'll need a whopper starter, no matter what. If you want to get crazy, start with Pacman and finish with that Trappist High Gravity, if you don't want that Belgian character too strongly

TL

Latest posts

Back