Another coffee thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philjohnwilliams

Reaction score
I plan on brewing a coffee stout and was wondering about the coffee addition. My plan is to cold brew the coffee in a french press and add it to the beer after the primary fermentation is complete. The way I see it I will be able to add the coffee a bit at a time until I get the taste I want. Does anybody see any problem with this? Anybody have any other suggestions for me?

I plan on brewing a coffee stout and was wondering about the coffee addition. My plan is to cold brew the coffee in a french press and add it to the beer after the primary fermentation is complete. The way I see it I will be able to add the coffee a bit at a time until I get the taste I want. Does anybody see any problem with this? Anybody have any other suggestions for me?

That's what I did!

I plan on doing this soon as well. You should be fine to just toss it in since coffee is so acidic but I think I'm going to heat the coffee up to 170 just to be safe.

I figured once I had the coffe brewed I would strain it off the grounds and heat for a few minutes to eliminate any organisms that might spoil my brew.

And did it work well for you? It seems to me to be the best way to get the flavour you want, but i always wonder if the is some potential problem that I have overlooked.

Yes, worked well, no problems other than the beer disappearing from the drinking fridge by my friends.

Back