new keggle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fins2rit

Reaction score
ok my friend has a buddy who is willing to cut my keg top off with a plasma cutter and weld on my coupling for the spigot. What else should I do to the keg? Put in a coupling for a thermostat or a site glass so I know how much I have in the keggle?
also how high off the bottom for a thermestat

I have 2 in mine - one for transfer and one for a site tube. You can share one port of you want a site tube and a thermometer, but I never really had a need to know the temp. It's either boiling or not boiling.

The only reason you might want a coupling for a thermometer is if you use an IC and want an external reading to know when you've cooled enough.

I've got a thermosight (see mod here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=28815) in both my MLT and HLT, but just a valve and siphon tube in the boil kettle. I guess the sight glass might be helpful, but I haven't had any problems getting really close on my final volumes based on beersmith calculations.

It's easier to add an extra coupling now while he's already welding. I'd put 3 in. Drain bulkhead, thermo, site glass. Sure you can use fittings to double up the drain and site glass, but it does protrude pretty far then. Putting the site glass on your drain causes a siphon break unless you remember to plug up the top of the tube. If you want a site glass at all, a dedicated coupling is ideal. You can use a half coupling for the site/thermo but make sure you use a regular one for the drain. I'd put the drain 1" above the skirt weld, the site glass same height but rotated around a few inches, and the thermo about 4" above that.

Site glasses are nice luxuries on the HLT for measure dough-in dispensing into the MLT. On the BK, it tells you the volume of your first runnings and then later your boil (and boil off) volumes. No need on the MLT. I want to integrate them on mine because the only other way to know the volumes is to drain off into a graduated bucket.

Thanks Bobby
I just watched your video and it was great.. and thanks for the advise on the height that was going to be my next question....

Bobby_M said:
Site glasses are nice luxuries on the HLT for measure dough-in dispensing into the MLT. On the BK, it tells you the volume of your first runnings and then later your boil (and boil off) volumes. No need on the MLT. I want to integrate them on mine because the only other way to know the volumes is to drain off into a graduated bucket.
I disagree on the use of a sight glass on a MLT. I use one on my MLT to measure strike water. I heat the strike water in the MLT, and it's nice to be able to add the water from a hose once it's already set up. Sure I could measure in a separate bucket, lift it up, and dump it in, but now I don't have to. I definately wanted the fitting for a digital probe thermometer. The thermosight only requires a single fitting, so it wasn't really any more work.

I think heating the strike water in a keg MLT is important. Otherwise it would much harder to maintain temps if you heat it in the HLT and transfer to the MLT.

thermo3.JPG

A sight glass is nice to have on a HLT and MT but Im not sure I would want one on the boil pot. If something happend to it while boiling it would be tough to plug. If you want to know the volume in the pot use a stick with gallon markings.

Where did this word keggle come from? I keep thinking of the womens excersize to tighten things up. Since my pots are made from pool filters should I call them POOGLES?!?

Monster Mash said:
Where did this word keggle come from? I keep thinking of the womens excersize to tighten things up. Since my pots are made from pool filters should I call them POOGLES?!?
I think it's a combination of "Keg" and "Kettle"

"Keezer" is starting to get on my nerves...

Monster Mash said:
A sight glass is nice to have on a HLT and MT but Im not sure I would want one on the boil pot. If something happend to it while boiling it would be tough to plug. If you want to know the volume in the pot use a stick with gallon markings.

Holy sh#$ Monster I just looked at your pictures and what a nice setup... man how often do you brew.... I can only dream.....

Lil' Sparky said:
I disagree on the use of a sight glass on a MLT. I use one on my MLT to measure strike water. I heat the strike water in the MLT, and it's nice to be able to add the water from a hose once it's already set up. .....

thermo3.JPG

You'd know better than me because you're using the setup already. I'm still planning. I suppose if you direct fire the MLT, the glass makes a lot of sense. I guess I was thinking i'd put the water into the HLT first to measure it out, then drain or pump into the MLT and heat. One less step with your method at the cost of an extra fitting or so. Sounds good.

Back