My Brett Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgardner6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brett Saison Brewed on 4th of July.

photo.JPG

How long did it take the pellicle to form? I did a very similar beer, but don't have a pellicle yet.

What Brett did you pitch? I have a saison that is stuck at 1.030 and Im thinking of repitching with brett or the roesalare blend.

A bit OT, so I'm kind of new of sours but I have one in my closet that has been there for about 16 months. Am I supposed to wait til the pellicle drops to bottle it?

I was going to punch through the pellicle to rack it to the bottling bucket but if it falls, then even better (but that means I'll have to wait until it falls, who knows how long that'll be).

A bit OT, so I'm kind of new of sours but I have one in my closet that has been there for about 16 months. Am I supposed to wait til the pellicle drops to bottle it?

I was going to punch through the pellicle to rack it to the bottling bucket but if it falls, then even better (but that means I'll have to wait until it falls, who knows how long that'll be).

Wait till the pellicle drops, you don't want to disturb a fermenting beer. It would be like racking a normal saccharomyces cerevisiae beer off primary before its done. What temp is it sitting at.

Very cool. I am currently fermenting a beer with Brett Brux, it's my first. I added the Brett a week ago and there is already a good pellicle. I added one vial of White Labs Brett Brux.

5159503135_7e0134fdc1_b.jpg

Very nice I would like to know how it turns out.

Primary- 10 Gal Oatmeal Stout
Kegged- Sorachi Ace Pilsner, Wet Hop Citra Pale Ale, 10 Gal Black IPA
Bottled- Berliner Weisse, Zeus IPA
Next batches- Kolsch, Pale Pale #4 w/Greenbelt Yeast, 100% Brett Pale Ale

Brett Saison
16-C Saison
Author: Josh Gardner
Date: 7/24/09

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 90.0%
Calories: 197.85 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.061 (1.048 - 1.065)
Terminal Gravity: 1.006 (1.002 - 1.012)
Color: 6.87 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 7.18% (5.0% - 7.0%)
Bitterness: 24.5 (20.0 - 35.0)

Ingredients:
12.0 lb Belgian Pils
7.0 oz Munich Malt
12.0 oz Vienna Malt
0.5 lb Pacific Northwest Wheat
5.0 oz Caramunich® TYPE I
1.0 oz Spalt Spalter (5.8%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Hersbrucker (3.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 oz Hersbrucker (3.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea WYeast 3724 Belgian Saison Yeast
1.0 ea WYeast 3526 Brettanomyces Lambicus
1.0 ea Wyeast 3763 Roeselare Blend

Notes
mash at 151
will start to slow around 1.022 to 1.030 thats when I racked to secondary and pitched brett

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.12

Brett Saison
16-C Saison
Author: Josh Gardner
Date: 7/24/09

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 90.0%
Calories: 197.85 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.061 (1.048 - 1.065)
Terminal Gravity: 1.006 (1.002 - 1.012)
Color: 6.87 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 7.18% (5.0% - 7.0%)
Bitterness: 24.5 (20.0 - 35.0)

Ingredients:
12.0 lb Belgian Pils
7.0 oz Munich Malt
12.0 oz Vienna Malt
0.5 lb Pacific Northwest Wheat
5.0 oz Caramunich® TYPE I
1.0 oz Spalt Spalter (5.8%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Hersbrucker (3.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 oz Hersbrucker (3.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea WYeast 3724 Belgian Saison Yeast
1.0 ea WYeast 3526 Brettanomyces Lambicus
1.0 ea Wyeast 3763 Roeselare Blend

Notes
mash at 151
will start to slow around 1.022 to 1.030 thats when I racked to secondary and pitched brett

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.12

Thanks for posting that.

It's at 68 and has been so for over a year.

That temp should be helping it ferment fairly fast. What was your starting gravity, is it a 100% Brett, how much did you pitch, and what strain did you use?

Secondary- Brett Saison
Kegged- 10 Gal Black IPA, Wet Hop Citra Pale Ale
Bottled- Zeus IPA, Berliner Weisse
Next- Kolsch, Greenbelt Pale Ale, 100% Brett Pale Ale

My OG was 1.060 and I used Wyeast 1098, Pedio and Brett Lambicus. I pitched a sack of each, no starters. I'm in secondary now on 18 pounds of cherry puree and have been for about a year so I have not accounted that into the OG as I did not take a measurement then. Probably should have. There is a healthy pellicle that has not been disturbed since I performed the transfer and it has yet to fall, even after all this time. I really want to measure and bottle this pLambic but if I have to wait for the pellicle to drop then that's gonna hold me up.

My OG was 1.060 and I used Wyeast 1098, Pedio and Brett Lambicus. I pitched a sack of each, no starters. I'm in secondary now on 18 pounds of cherry puree and have been for about a year so I have not accounted that into the OG as I did not take a measurement then. Probably should have. There is a healthy pellicle that has not been disturbed since I performed the transfer and it has yet to fall, even after all this time. I really want to measure and bottle this pLambic but if I have to wait for the pellicle to drop then that's gonna hold me up.

Wow 18 pounds of purée. This may go for a while. I don't know if you plan to bottle or keg but if you bottle to early (ie. break the pellice you may have bottle bombs on your hand). One thing about wild brewing is you have to learn to be patient. If you always want a wild beer on hand brew one every few months.

Wow 18 pounds of purée. This may go for a while. I don't know if you plan to bottle or keg but if you bottle to early (ie. break the pellice you may have bottle bombs on your hand). Wild Ales can take up to a year and add fruit can prolong that time even more so. One thing about wild brewing is you have to learn to be patient. If you always want a wild beer on hand brew one every few months. I suggest reading wild brews which has some really good info.

Secondary- Brett Saison
Kegged- 10 Gal Black IPA, Wet Hop Citra Pale Ale
Bottled- Zeus IPA, Berliner Weisse
Next- Kolsch, Greenbelt Pale Ale, 100% Brett Pale Ale

I was planning on bottling with the heavy duty Dogfish 750 mL bottles but perhaps i should just rack it to a keg and condition it that way. The brew was first racked to primary on 8/30/2009 and then to secondary on puree 3 months later. So it's been there a while already. I'm usually pretty patient but I've been thinking about it more recently.

This has piqued my interest, can i brett an already fermented Saison? I've got 16 gallons of fermenting Apricot Saison and there is a 5 gallon glass carbuoy in a cupboard. I could bottle 11 gallons(uk gallons) and take the other 5 further through the looking glass Surely this is synchronicty at its finest! Any advice to a Brett virgin much appreciated.

http://bennachiebrewery.blogspot.com/

You would probably have to add more fruit or something for the brett to eat. It won't do anything unless it has something to consume.

From what I've read, brett will eat sugars that saccharomyces won't. Therefore, you don't necessarily have to add more sugar unless you want much more brett character. Brett will take its time, but is really attenuative and will bring the FG down past the sacch level.

Correct me if I'm wrong; this is just what I've read.

TB

This is true but he said it was already fermented. If he used a saison yeast, it's probably already attenuated down pretty low already. I've had saisons that ended at 1.004 without brett. 3711 is an animal of a yeast, as are most saison yeasts. I imagine there won't be much left for anything to eat at 1.004.

It depends but you do have a point.

This is true but he said it was already fermented. If he used a saison yeast, it's probably already attenuated down pretty low already. I've had saisons that ended at 1.004 without brett. 3711 is an animal of a yeast, as are most saison yeasts. I imagine there won't be much left for anything to eat at 1.004.

It depends but you do have a point.

That will depend on the composition of sugars in the wort. Brett will eat dextrinous wort that sacch won't. If you mash for medium to med-high body, you could get decent brett character from finishing with brett with no added sugar.

Otherwise, adding maltodextrin like emjay said will feed it.

TB

Thanks guys,

Your advice is much appreciated. I have ordered 'wild brews' for one of my holiday reads. I will in all likelihood add more apricots and also a jar of Pine honey to the 5 gallon experimental batch. I have the choice of pine, Thyme or 'standard' flower honey at the market in Turkey. I read about the potential for pineapple & passion fruit flavours from Brett C and thought that they would go well with a chilled highly carbonated Saison in a champagne glass. I think the pine honey will have the best chance of adding a layer of flavour out of the 3 possibles. Its all new to me and i am enjoying the mental workout!

Cheers

P.

Simple sugars from honey or fruit won't give Brettanomyces anything to really consume. They will likely be out competed by your saison yeast. The interesting thing I've done recently is to bottle half a batch with plain priming sugar and the other half with 1/3 the priming sugar and then maltodextrine for the brett ferment in the bottle. It worked but you have to be careful how you do such experiments and use heavy champagne bottles.

Thanks Smoking hole,

I have ordered a 1/2 KG of extra light spray malt, a dozen plastic champagne corks and cages as i have a few 3/4 champagne ltr bottles for use. Also ordered the brett itself(wlp645) from Hop&grape shop here in UK. I will take a hydro reading when i return home on the 2nd July and go from there. 11 gallons will be bottled and primed to about 2.5 to 3 vols using cane sugar on the 2nd(no brett) amd i will get experimental with the remaining 5 gallons in a glass carbuoy for later bottling.

NO hobby has ever been as fractal as brewing!:)

Back