What the heck is Malto-Ferm????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
I got up early this morning to brew a batch of Texas Bock all grain I got from AHS. I was plugging the ingredients into Beer Smith as I always do and quickly discovered the color based on the malts was nowhere near a bock. Now, they included a 1.50 oz. packet of something called Malto-Ferm ind it is the color and consistancy of dark hot chocolate mix. I can only assume this will color the brew to get it closer to the correct SRM range(?) but cannot find this in Beer Smith or online.

Any help here?

Never mind - I found an old post here from Forrest describing this:

"We use Brewer's Gold hops. We also use a special ingredient that they use: Briess Maltoferm. Maltoferm is a beer colorant used to change a beers color to the SRM you want. You are supposed to use it very sparingly because it has a lovibond rating of approximately 7000! Yes, 7000. If you use 1.5 ounces of Maltoferm per 5 gallons (more than normal amount to just color) it is an very inexpensive way to give some roasted flavor and color.

Now that is what you call a Cheap Trick.

Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright.... (sorry)

Forrest"

Now - how do I plug this into Beer Smith so the color comes out right...

edit: you found it while I was typing. I don't see anything like it in beersmith. You might be able to create the ingredient though.

ASSuming AHS matched this up corectly to style, I show this must have an SRM value of 1700 for 1.5 oz. according to the Beer Smith range of 14.0-22.0 SRM for the style. That would put me about in the middle of that range using 6.5 lbs. of 6 row barley and 1.25 lbs. of flaked Maize plus 1.5 oz. of this Malto-Ferm.

Breiss has a color of 4.0 lovibond.

The recipe is for a Texas Bock.
Do you want a real Bock or what Texans call a bock (Shiner)? They are not even close to one another.

I was mistaken. The Lovibond of Maltoferm is 3500 degrees.

Maltoferm® A-6001 Black DME
Lovibond
3500°

FAN (8 °Plato) 1900

Unique Characteristics/Applications
Maltoferm® A-6001 is a dry malt extract made from 100% Briess black malt and water, making it a perfect colorant for beer.

Forrest

Great info Forrest - I need this as I am adding it into Beer Smith for the next time I use it. Worked like a champ by the way - I was shocked at how well that little amount of powder colored the wort. Sitting in the fermentor now.

Not really looking for a real bock - heck, I am using ale yeast as I don't have the setup for lagering yet. Just looking for some darker beer to start welcoming the Autumn in before switching to Porters and Stouts for the Winter.

Back