Oops! Left the cap on my auto-siphon & it worked even better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearsWickedBrew

Reaction score
There I am...finally moving my Sam Smith Winter Welcome clone from my primary to my secondary after 4 weeks...(beer tastes ammaazzzzinggg...best so far)....and I'm saying to myself...wow...Im doing 1 helluva job of not sucking up any trub. Come to find out...when I go to clean my equipment afterwards..I realized I left the cap on the auto-siphon. Does any1 do this on purpose?...I swear I had better results.

Also...I was shocked to see how clear the beer was to begin with after sitting 4 weeks in the primary. I may start doing this w/ all my beers. I couldve gone straight to bottling with this 1...but Ive got alot of pumpkin on hand still....and bottling can be painful for me.

If you're talking about the cap that fits over the tip of the auto siphon, that's what it's for.

Allows you to set the siphon on the trub without picking it up too much.

Yeah, that's not a protective cap for storage. It's for directing the flow of wort away from the bottom of the carboy just like the racking cane caps. I can image how hard it was to use with the cap off.

Huh?

You are supposed to leave that cap ON. Geesh! There is another revalation I had not considered.

I took me a month to realize that you are supposed to attach a hose to the bend rather than trying to let the beer cascade into the bottles or bucket.

Wow. This will be a life saver.

:D :p :cross:

Just the other day, I figured out that the steel disc with all the holes in it isn't just just for protecting the bottom of the mash tun during storage. Awesome!

Just the other day, I figured out that the steel disc with all the holes in it isn't just just for protecting the bottom of the mash tun during storage. Awesome!

Come on, Cletus. Don't keep us in suspense! What's it for?:mug:

Wow.....I gotta lay off the homebrew before I start to kill some more braincells.

Seriously....if you guys feel the need to ban me...I will completely understand.

Wow.....I gotta lay off the homebrew before I start to kill some more braincells.

Seriously....if you guys feel the need to ban me...I will completely understand.

Listen, all joking aside what matters is you are discovering things about your brewing and that's what makes it so much fun. Keep it up, brother :ban::fro:

Well, I tried not to take the mickey out on ya' but the others couldn't contain themselves.

*chuckle*

Nelson_haha.jpg

HA HA!

If folks got banned around here for a momentary show of stupidity, there'd be nobody left.:D
Good you can take a joke. Surely there will be more.

Holy crap, I just figured out that if you open the spigot on the bottling bucket, the beer flows right out. Damn, it took forever to bottle five gallons with that stinkin' drip.

You guys should try this.

Sorry BearsWickedBrew, couldn't resist.:D

In your defense, I took the cap off mine for a minute when I started brewing, then said "oohhh!".

Just for a minute.

;)

I too took the "cap" off for my first use. In my defense I had not yet discovered brew forums nor did my siphon come with any directions. Lucky for us most all of the good folks here have never, ever made any mistakes in brewing and we can all learn from their perfection.;):D

Ya know what I love especially about this post.... the title that I chose completely yells out.. "Hey everyone...look at me...i'm an idiot"

I didn't even know that cap came off... when it did come off I thought I had broken my autosiphon...

Not to hijack the thread... though maybe "BearsWickedBrew" is hoping to change the subject, how many people bother wrapping the tip with sanitized cheesecloth or a copper sponge? The first couple beers I transferred I didn't do anything, but I hated watching little bits of crud flow through the hose. Then I tried the copper sponge trick and it seemed to work good, but the sponge wasn't worth cleaning, so at $1.25 a transfer, my cheap-@ss, wanted a different method. Tried the cheesecloth. Worked great on a red and an IPA, but clogged like a mother on my wheat. I actually needed to clean it off and stop/start the siphon a few times, each time running a little air through the hose when it clogged.

Is it worth all the fuss or is a bare cane just as good?

Did I do much damage with the siphon sucking air a few times...?

HBT tip of the day :- After starting a monumentally embarrassing thread, always wait until the thread has been dead at least 3 days before changing your username and coming back with a new name such as, hmm, I dunno, "Groovepuppy" or "Shecky" or something

HBT tip of the day :- After starting a monumentally embarrassing thread, always wait until the thread has been dead at least 3 days before changing your username and coming back with a new name such as, hmm, I dunno, "Groovepuppy" or "Shecky" or something
Or you could start a number of monumentally embarrassing threads and then just add "electrique" or "invisible" to the end of your name. Really, nobody will remember it was you.:)

I actually forgot to add priming sugar to my beer before botteling the other day. Luckily i realized only three botles in. Yeah i dont even remember finishing the bottling process. :drunk:

"OhioBrit" is a synonym for "something" in the UK?

Shocked! I never knew that!

:p

Every once in a while things will dawn on me and I look around and realize everyone knows but me. Here are some examples of late-arriving Epiphanies.

* Watching football game with dad. They show the icon on the 50-yd line at the Cotton Bowl. I yell out; Oh my god! It's a freaking cotton boll. The Cotton Boll! I get it! Dad looks over and says "that's good, son" like I had been riding the short bus all my life.

* standing in the supermarket with a girlfriend many years ago. I saw a morton's salt canister, and realized the girl was holding an umbrella while the salt trailed behind her. "OMG! When it rains, it pours! The salt still pours!" GF looked terrified. I still don't know if she was scared that I just figured this out 20 yrs too late, or if she had no frame of reference for humidity-clumped salt.

There are many, many stories of me being late to the intellectual party.

"OhioBrit" is a synonym for "something" in the UK?

Shocked! I never knew that!

:p
I'm surprised you remembered that name! But then again, 95% of my posts are at the very least a little embarrassing. :eek:

Back on topic, I went to rack to secondary on Sunday and found that my "cap" on my auto syphon was missing! No biggy though, I had a nice firm cake. Even firmer than the rocks my mum used to bake!

I just read through the thread again. It STILL gives me the giggles! Thanks to BearsWickedBrew for manning up and having a good sense of humour about it! It's the kinda thing we all do at some time or another, but this thread was STILL an absolute classic facepalm move. :D

Alright, so on the auto-siphon the restricter plastic piece that is there. I accidentally popped it out and now I can't get it back in. I tried all morning and could not do it. I almost destroyed the house with my anger.

Any ideas how to get it back in?

It should slip back on so easily that you could confuse for it some sort of protective plastic used when storing the product.

...HA! I beat the rest of you to that one.

Ya except it doesn't, so that was not helpful.

I am not talking about the cap at the end of the auto siphon, I am talking about the piece of plastic that is inside the cap. The auto siphon does not work with out this piece being there.

You got the plastic tube
At the end is a black plastic piece permanently attached
In that is a rubber flapper valve that keeps the beer from leaking back down the tube
covering that is the black cap

Is there something I'm missing?

Yeah, we should start a retarded brewer thread. Last batch I boiled up my wort, and got smart and decided to transfer to the using the autosiphon. That way I avoid wrangling hot wort and easier to filter through the sieve.

I'm about halfway done before I realize the hot wort has permanently bent my autosiphon.

I really need to add a spigot to my pot...

Ya except it doesn't, so that was not helpful.

I am not talking about the cap at the end of the auto siphon, I am talking about the piece of plastic that is inside the cap. The auto siphon does not work with out this piece being there.

Yes how did you accidently pop that out/ I think you need to just buy a new siphon for 14 bucks

I don't have a rubber flap, I have a plastic piece.

There were whole hops stuck in the auto siphon and I popped the plastic piece out while cleaning it.

It seems like it should be able to be put back in but i just can't do it.

Back