Perogies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goofynewfie

Reaction score
sat down tonight made 10 dozen saurkraut Perogies from scratch, looking forward to eating some tomorrow night with a glass a blueberry wine

Sounds great! I rarely make pieogy these days (I've been low carb for several years) but I sure do love the little buggers! I most often make a potato/cheese filling that reminds me of my Polish comfort food from when I was a child. When I go to visit my dad, I always grab pieogies as a side dish when we go out to eat.

I actually picked up some spinach and potato at the local butcher. I've had many different varieties growing up but never this combination. They were good. Got me thinking of varieties I haven't had since I was young. My grandmother use to make apple perogies and apple pancakes. Now I'm starving. Googled some recipes and I hope they're as good as I remember. I was describing my grandmother's polish cooking to my girlfriend and I said everything is smoothered either in butter or cream cheese. I'm guessing in the health conscience new age maybe these recipes might not live up to the memories.

Are you kidding? Even now one of my biggest comfort meals is golabki and/or piergy, but I don't mind some polska kielbasa and sauerkraut either! I think comfort food favorites never change.

My daughter doesn't even like tomatoes, but her comfort meal is Campbell's Tomato Soup and grilled cheese, or my spaghetti.

Comfort food takes you back to your childhood, and to being held by Babcia tight to her (enormous) bosom.

The thing is, others just don't understand.

One great thing that happened to me was when Bob and I were dating, I told him I was going to make a Polish meal for him, and he said that sounded great. He didn't even ask what I was making. He's 100% Russian, and said he loves Russian food.

I made a big meal- golabki and peirogy both, along with traditional bread.

He walked in, and said, "Oh, you made Russian food. What a surprise!".

Apparently the Russians have claimed golabki and peirogy as well, and he felt right at home digging in, and didn't believe it was Polish comfort food!

fry them is some bacon grease!!! mmmmmmm bacon... might take away from your blueberry wine but mmmm bacon

sat down tonight made 10 dozen saurkraut Perogies from scratch, looking forward to eating some tomorrow night with a glass a blueberry wine

My family gets together every year for the weekend before christmas and makes up wards of 15-20 dozen potato and cheese for our huge Christmas Eve Gathering. They are great, come from my grandma's decades old recipe. Christmas morning now involves waking up, opening gifts and then eating a breakfast of ham, kielbasa and pierogies before church.

Have u tried prune pierogies? Those along with the saurkraut and cabbage we make are really good. May be a little unorthodox but once u have them the first time, ur hooked!

Oh and one more thing, if u ever make potato/cheese and have extra filling, throw it on a pizza crust with some melted butter and onions and throw it in the oven like a pizza. Its called Pagach here in NEPA and its a staple around Lent.

I stole my wife from Poland. We don't cook Polish often enough, but we always do the at least 12 polish items for Christmas dinner. It is my favorite ethnic cuisine by far.
We host relatives and inlaws quite a bit, and they just treat us the whole time with Silesian Polish homecooking. Bigos, kwasnica, salatka of all kinds, barscht, rolades, placki, kluski, and dozens of incredible soups.
We honeymooned in Zakopane and I think I must have gained 15 lbs that week between the beer and food.

Yum!

I'm just an native born American mutt myself, but I am 1/4 Latvian, so that side of my family has some traditional fare that is very similar to Polish. It must be in my blood or something because I crave it like nothing else!

her comfort meal is Campbell's Tomato Soup and grilled cheese,

My wife's favorite in cold weather.

Tonight it's hot, but we have fettuccine bake and Too Many Blackberries Crumble for desert. The former is what you get when you want lasagna, but don't have right noodles around.

3 cups mashed potato ( no butter , just plain potato)
4 cups flour
3 eggs
1/2 cup veg oil
Pinch of salt and pepper

Use pastry knife to blend potato and flour. Whisk oil and egg together than pour in flour mixture. Add salt and pepper and knead well.cover with towel , let sit for a half hour before use

Grandma got me hooked 40 years ago, and I still love them. I don't make them often, but I make them with cheese/potato and mushroom. Of course, served with sauteed onions...

Grandma got me hooked 40 years ago, and I still love them. I don't make them often, but I make them with cheese/potato and mushroom. Of course, served with sauteed onions...

And I'm sure, lots and lots of butter! That's the best way- sauteed onions and butter. They have to be pretty much floating in butter, but they are oh so good!

And I'm sure, lots and lots of butter! That's the best way- sauteed onions and butter. They have to be pretty much floating in butter, but they are oh so good!

Totally drowning! Butter was healthy back then, not like nowadays ;)

I make some killer perogi. Our family's dough is a little unorthodox; 4c flour, tsp salt, 1 egg, 1/2c sour cream. We stuck with potato and munster cheese for a while but use cheddar now. Sauerkraut is the best, but I also like farmer's cheese or "pot cheese" quite a bit too.

In Poland most perogies are served with a mound of fried bacon cubes and onions, but not much butter. The bacon is what really makes it...

4 cups flour
3 eggs
1/2 cup veg oil
Pinch of salt and pepper

Use pastry knife to blend potato and flour. Whisk oil and egg together than pour in flour mixture. Add salt and pepper and knead well.cover with towel , let sit for a half hour before use

Isn't this a recipe for kluski slaskie and not Pierogi?

Apparently the Russians have claimed golabki and peirogy as well, and he felt right at home digging in, and didn't believe it was Polish comfort food!
you both have it wrong: it's a well-known fact that perogies are ukrainian! <hides>

seriously tho, they're slavic. they come from a time when these nations didn't exist and borders between kingdoms were very fluid... so the entire region, and the countries that currently make up the area, can rightfully claim them.

in ukrainian they're also called vereniki (not sure how to anglicize the spelling).

off to go take a swig of samohonka (aka horilka).

Our pierogi dough is super simple:

2 eggs (easier kneading if they are room temp)
4 cups flour
1/2 cup water (luke warm is important)

Generally, meat or fruit pierogi are boiled till they float. Fruit serves well with a bit of sour cream sweetened with sugar. Potato and Sauerkraut fillings get pan fried and served with your choice (this is a regional preference) of butter, diced bacon or onions.

Smacznego!

I love the mushroom filled perogies. There's a lady who makes & sells them at the farmers' market in Missoula, but I think she steams them instead of actually boiling; they are incredibly tasty! She also makes blueberry filled & serves them up with a bit of yogurt. Now I'm hungry for perogie.
Oh BTW, there's all kinds of perogie dough & filling recipes online for those who want them.
Regards, GF.

Just made another ten dozen bacon and cheddar filled. My daughter boils them than puts tomato sauce and shredded cheese on these ones. I like bacon, sour cream and hot sauce

What's great about the pot cheese variety is the filling is so easy to make. After squeezing out the whey you can reboil it (the whey) and make homemade riccotta. By far the best return on investment for a gallon of whole milk.

Takes me back. I love 'em. We had a fair every year & I would eat about 100 of them. I'm 100% German & from Pennsylvania. Small town of 200.

I remember the trees! I haven't been back in 20 years.

I once got in a knock down, drag out, fistfight about perogies! They are THAT important.

There's a good episode of Three Sheets where they visit Poland and crash a wedding. They soon realize the danger when baskets filled with bottles of vodka arrive and the feats of strength contests start. No good can come after a couple of bottles and axes start to get thrown around. Aaah childhood memories.

4 cups flour
3 eggs
1/2 cup veg oil
Pinch of salt and pepper

I make some killer perogi. Our family's dough is a little unorthodox; 4c flour, tsp salt, 1 egg, 1/2c sour cream. We stuck with potato and munster cheese for a while but use cheddar now. Sauerkraut is the best, but I also like farmer's cheese or "pot cheese" quite a bit too.

Our pierogi dough is super simple:

2 eggs (easier kneading if they are room temp)
4 cups flour
1/2 cup water (luke warm is important)

Generally, meat or fruit pierogi are boiled till they float. Fruit serves well with a bit of sour cream sweetened with sugar. Potato and Sauerkraut fillings get pan fried and served with your choice (this is a regional preference) of butter, diced bacon or onions.

Smacznego!

Thanks for the recipes! The potato dough sounds like what a Russian coworker shared with me once. They were awesome.

Thanks for the recipes! The potato dough sounds like what a Russian coworker shared with me once. They were awesome.

We never put potatoes in the dough- only in the filling. The dough was a four dough. Maybe the potato dough is Russian, or Ukrainian? I know my family would never have made the dough with potatoes- the "Itales" did that (gnocchi?), to quote my mother.

We visited a Russian restaraunt yesterday and had pieroshki with farmers cheese, toasted onions and butter as an appetizer. For entrees, I had Sturgeon w/ summer veggies, and my wife had lamb and rice. Good stuff.

Last time I tried to make them the homemade sauerkraut was too wet, and I made a mess :-(.

I'm wondering if one could have the best of both worlds by using instant mash flakes with the flour...

When I make perogies, I fry them in a frying pan and plenty of butter till they are crisp on the outside...my gf loves them this way, since they make a nice finger food while we watch TV. Now I am tempted to make some that with a filling inspired by my shepherd's pie...

if you do not add pork fat to the pan, or at a minimum bacon, you fail at perogies (unless they are sweet perogies - cherries, plum, blueberries, etc).

the perogy dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
For "Pierogies", an awesome trick is to use a LOT of sour cream for the dough base with the flour. The results are always outstanding. And the cheese I use is typically Farmer's Cheese. It's like a not so wet Ricotta that melts better. Boil them first then fry. For the garnish, saute half the onions until slightly browned, then deglaze with water and butter, and toss quickly with more raw onions. This way, you have the brown bit flavor of the soft onions and the crunch of the raw onions. And remember, always season while you cook. Those onions need salt, the cheese needs to be pepped up, etc.

my Nana's recipe
2 eggs
4 cups flour
1/2 cup water

and the filling was egg and DRY CURD COTTAGE CHEESE

boiled, like a ravioli, then fried in a pan with butter.

you both have it wrong: it's a well-known fact that perogies are ukrainian! <hides>

seriously tho, they're slavic. they come from a time when these nations didn't exist and borders between kingdoms were very fluid... so the entire region, and the countries that currently make up the area, can rightfully claim them.

in ukrainian they're also called vereniki (not sure how to anglicize the spelling).

QUOTE]
Having a Grandfather from the Ukraine and a Grandmother from Poland the meals at my house always included those comfort foods.

The Ukrainians or Russians called the (Polish) pierogi VARENIKI
Golumki or GOLOBKI (Polish stuffed cabbage) were called GOLUBTSI (with a soft G) or as use kids would call them Halupsi.

Kraut was always referred to as Kapusta and was cooked with garlic and bay leaves (in butter or fat of course) until it was so tender that it melted in your mouth.

After making the regular (sauerkraut-cheese-potato) varieties there was always a pot of blueberry varenikis that served as dessert along with Cheese Blini or blintzes.

Add a few pounds of kielbasi, a plate of potato pancakes, a loaf of sour rye all served with a big pot of sour cream and you have a Carb diet that would be outlawed in most States.:D

bosco

Back