Looking for a Porter/Stout without Black/Chocolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Accidic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife's a big fan of Stouts and Porters and wants me to make some for us to share but frankly I liken the flavors typically added by chocolate or black to be akin to licking a galvanized metal pole. I find links referring to recipes that you don't need black or patent but none of them apparently feel the desire or need to link to those particular recipes. I'm pretty sure it's the coffee roast style taste that gags me as I don't handle coffee well at all either. It's either that or drink 4-6oz of vodka first so the flavor doesn't make me gag which puts me at a marked disadvantage here... :drunk:

Has anyone come across a recipe that has neither of those of that rough type? I'd even consider going with a debittered perhaps (although I've not yet tried this) and I'm rather intrigued by the descriptions of Pale Chocolate (I've read/heard this has a Toasty flavor sans Roasty) but I'll have to order it as it's not locally available unfortunately.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Those grains (Chocolate, black patent, and roasted barley) that you don't like are what define a porter or stout and leaving them out would no longer make the beer a porter or stout. I have used pale chocolate but it was to achieve the tast and not so much of the color. I mixed the pale chocolate with regular chocolate so I could not tell you the exact taste of just the pale chocolate.

So, I take it would be too much to just brew the Porter/Stout for your wife then? Not worth the effort unless you get to drink it too?

You can make two beers from one mash. {or just make it for her, as Gila said}

Basically craft a base beer that meets the requirements of a stout/porter (sans those grains) and a beer you like.
Drain off your wort, boil separate.
Cap the mash with the dark grains, add water, drain and boil hers.
Google randy mosher and parti-gyle

good luck!

Brew her a batch WITH the black patent/roast barley/chocolate malt, and brew yourself a beer without. Those flavors that you don't like are probably the flavors she likes.

Another thought is to make a couple beers with those malts in reduced quantities, so you can gradually acclimate your palette to them. I'm a firm believer that with beer, one can learn to appreciate all styles, even if they aren't one's favorite.

The 1776 Porter from Radical Brewing is just Pale, Brown and Biscuit malts. The recipe and a discussion about it is here:
Print Page - 1776 Porter from Radical Brewing

It would be a fun history lesson / experiment and might possibly be a middle ground you both enjoy. But, as others have said, I would be prepared to just brew her a batch with the flavor profile she enjoys in the name of domestic bliss - and its not like "having" to brew an extra batch of beer is a bad thing...

If you are an all-grain brewer, you could do your mash with just the base malt, and then split your wort into two separate batches, one with the black patent/chocolate, and one without, and steep them as if you were doing an extract recipe half the size.

But honestly the roasted malts are essentially the defining characteristic of stouts and porters.

Is it possible that you both like the thick richness of porters? I've considered making a "porter" out of pale, debittered black, and lots of body builders (oats, maltodextrin, lactose, etc). Some pale chocolate would do nicely, too.

I like my beers THICK.

I've done both thick and thin.

As for split, I keep a decent pipeline going and I could just buy the stout for her. It's not her "focus" although personally I'd much prefer one of the types and styles I enjoy.

That said I can do either extract or all grain. Jbear that sounds like exactly what I need. Thank you kindly. :)

Back