Peach Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewtastic

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3711 French Saison
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
11 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 88
Tasting Notes
Very dry. Nice tart peach undertones.
3lbs. Amber liquid malt extract
1 lb. Munich liquid malt extract
2 lbs. Belgian Light Candy Sugar
8oz. 60L Crystal
2 oz. Willamette hops -20 minutes
5.5 lbs. under ripe peach puree
5 lbs. over ripe peaches - sliced into large pieces

Steeped the grains and sparged. Put 3.5lbs. of the peach puree in at the last 20 minutes of the boil, and then 2 lbs. of the peach puree in at flameout.

Fermented for 7 days starting at 72 then ramping up 2 degrees each day before racking to secondary. Once it was in the secondary I added the chopped up peaches and let set for 10 days.

I have no idea how much the ABV is as I don't know how much sugar and alcohol the peaches added.

The body is very dry, but with a nice silky mouthfeel. The yeast added some nice peppery notes, but not quite as much as I was hoping.

Despite the gigantic amount of peaches the peach flavor is subtle and tart, almost sour.

I like this beer ALOT. I got the peaches from my own peach tree, so I'm going to wait until next year to make it again. However next year I plan to add some grains of paradise for pepperiness and maybe some ginger.

It turned out great. I was really bumbed out at the end of the keg. Really drinkable. I'd be interested to know how it turns out with pears. My back yard has a plum tree so I think I might give it a whirl with those.

Keep a few things in mind though. The sugar content of peaches and pears are probably a lot different so you could end up with a less, or more alcoholic beer. Also the use of the under riped peaches added some nice tartness. I don't know how much of that you'd get from under ripe pears.

Back