Dry hopping in keg with mesh tea ball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
I'm trying to dry hop some spearmint in a keg with a mesh tea ball. However, I'm not sure how long I'm going to want it in there. So I want to be able to pull it out when I want. How do I do this? The chain on the ball is only about 2". If I did find something like a stainless steel chain how would I even attach it? This one stumps me.

The only thing I can think of is making a connection between two kegs and pushing the beer from one to the other when I'm done. But that's a pain in the ass and I don't have the connection right now.

they make ss wire but i dont know that theres any place within the keg to attach it. You could have an eyehook or something welded for that purpose but i doubt it would be worth it. I have the same deal as you but im ading cinnamon and clove. I just dropped the ball in praying it doesnt get too strong before i finish the keg

I use non waxed dental floss tied to the SS chain. Thin enough not to make it lose pressure and strong enought to hold it. Although I hate those tea ball things. Pellets leak out like there is not tomorrow!

I use non waxed dental floss tied to the SS chain. Thin enough not to make it lose pressure and strong enought to hold it. Although I hate those tea ball things. Pellets leak out like there is not tomorrow!

Dental floss eh? That's pretty slick. Yeah, you'd have to go with the non-waxed non-flavored type. I could probably use the mint flavored one and get a Dental Mint Choc Stout! :D

Dental floss eh? That's pretty slick. Yeah, you'd have to go with the non-waxed non-flavored type. I could probably use the mint flavored one and get a Dental Mint Choc Stout! :D

recommended by 4 out of 5 dentists worldwide...

I'm sure there are two threads on this forum about this. Unfortunately I don't have the links.

One used a plastic zip tie (cable tie, not sure what you guys call them over there) and zipped it to the dip tube, then once a few pints have been drawn from the keg you can stick your hand in and clip it off.

The other thread had something on the top of the lid to attach the ball chain to. Or maybe I saw something like that for sale somewhere. If you could find some sort of SS loop/eye or something I'm sure your local welder could tig it on for a bottle of beer or two, would just take a couple of seconds to tack it on.

Also a few years ago I tried making mint flavoured spirit from plain vodka, I left between 0.5 - 1 oz in a 40oz and after a couple of weeks it went a horrid brown colour and tasted absolutely ****-house, nothing like mint at all. I've never done anything with beer and (spear)mint but unless is a tried and true recipe I'd use a lot of caution.

Hope that helps a little.

Back