Dry hop -on top of krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smellyglove

Reaction score
I dry hopped my open fermented ale earlier today. And when I check in on it now, approx nine hours later all the hops are still stuck in the krausen. This is day 8. WLP001. I know the 001 is a notorious top cropper, but when will my citras fall through and fall down into the actual beer? Will there be anything left of them? I thought they would fall through during nine hours, but they sort of just slowly disintegrate on top of it.

EDIT: nvm the question about when they will fall through the krausen. My actual question is how will this affect the dry hopping?

I doubt they are disintegrating, not really sure what you mean by that. The hop oils should leach out into the beer, but the leaves or even pellets won't fully disappear. Perhaps some are actually already falling through? If they don't actually get into the beer you won't get much aroma out of them.

I've been away for a few days and just checked the fermentor. They hops were now just a brownish smudge on top of the yeastcake, so I peeled off the entire yeastcake and pit some new pellets in there.

How long does it usually take for the wlp001 to fall down, and if it doesn't, should I help it by maybe rocking the fermenter gently?

It looks like WLP001 is a top fermenter, from what I've found, so it may never really sink. Someone else may correct me on that, but you could always cold crash to see if that will knock it down.

It looks like WLP001 is a top fermenter, from what I've found, so it may never really sink. Someone else may correct me on that, but you could always cold crash to see if that will knock it down.

Oh yes. I know it is. Yea, that usually helps.

Dry hop after active fermentation is subsided, active kraeusen and CO2 bubbles sweep away too many of your hops.

I did toss them in after active fermentation

But maybe im confused about what krausrn actually is. After active fermentation, theres just the yeast cake left on top, like a cheesecake. Is this krausen? Or is it just the foamy layer during active fermentation?

The yeast cake ends up on the bottom. The krausen is the crazy-looking, foamy layer on top. If the yeast is a top cropper, sometimes the krausen can linger around longer than others, my pumpkin ale did this. So if it's been up to 2 weeks, for most cases, but to be sure take a gravity reading, and if you're near FG you should be fine. Cold crashing usually helps to knock the krausen down.

The yeast cake ends up on the bottom. The krausen is the crazy-looking, foamy layer on top. If the yeast is a top cropper, sometimes the krausen can linger around longer than others, my pumpkin ale did this. So if it's been up to 2 weeks, for most cases, but to be sure take a gravity reading, and if you're near FG you should be fine. Cold crashing usually helps to knock the krausen down.

Yeah. The foam on top. But after the foam settles, and its just some cake looking stuff on top, the yeast (looks like the texture of the moon), do we still call it krausen?

As far as I know, that's what I've always thought it was. I know the yeast cake is on the bottom when everything compacts. If it's some here and there on the top, it can be referred to as yeast rafts, but if it's still coating the entire top, I'd still call it krausen.

I have had a couple beers have a dense foam layer on top well after one week, after I disturbed the bucket the foam sank.

Im my case the top is still covered with a 0.5in. thick layer of yeast. Theres no foam. This is about 12 days in or so.

I know it will drop at some point, but is it stupid to "help" it by rocking the fermentor?

Or should I just make a hole in the layer for future dryhops?

Back