Adding wheat in all beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triat00

Reaction score
So,

I noticed that à lot of microbrewery beer have wheat in there ingredients list. Should i add a little amount in all my brews? I know that it add mouthfeel and head retention so why not add approx 5% in all my brew?

I add a few ounces of carafoam to all my beers other than wheat beers. It's always given them really good head retention.

If you're a foam junkie ad 4oz each of wheat/flaked barley/carafoam it will not affect your clarity and your friends will give you some kind of illustrious title like "FOAMASTER"
:mug:

I have added a small amount of wheat to my pale ales and ipas lately and I really like how it rounds things out

I used to add 4 to 8 oz of oats to everything to increase FG without sweetening it. I like to chew my beer. I'm trying to have to shake the bottle to get the beer out.

Realy good article about foam. Ill begin by doing the test.

What about mouth feel? A rule of thumb seems to be 4oz (100g). Is that realy help? Any side by side comparaison?

Realy good article about foam. Ill begin by doing the test.

What about mouth feel? A rule of thumb seems to be 4oz (100g). Is that realy help? Any side by side comparaison?

You'll have to experiment and decide for your self. Brew the same recipe both with and without. I have no problem using carapils if I need it, but in general I feel like homebrewers often end up with beers that are too thick and dextrous, so I make decisions about using it on a case by case basis, not an overall rule.

Back