Stout condition time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLRAB

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing and being a huge Guinness fan, it's time to try a stout. I've done some research on past threads about condition time and I've seen any where from 3 weeks to 4-5 months depending on the type of stout. Not sure where mine falls. Here is the recipe, any suggestions on how long I should condition? Also, should I just pour oats in after flame out? Assuming they will just fall into the trub like a fruit zest does. Thanks in advance

1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
6 lbs Dark Liquid Extract (17.5 SRM)
2.0 oz Pearle [7.8%] - Boil 60 min
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15 min)
0.5 oz Pearle [7.8%] - Boil 5 min
2.00 tbsp Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5 min)
2.00 cup Oats (Boil 0 min)
1 pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084)

Drinking: OktoBier Fest, Bavarian Bronze, Orange Summer Ale
Conditioning: Lemon Summer Slammer
On Deck: Luck O'the Irish Stout, Peach Wheat

The oats should either be instant, or quick oats (or flaked oats from the LHBS). Those should go in the mash with the other grains. Do NOT boil them in the wort- unless you want beer flavored oatmeal! :D

I'm not a big fan of the recipe as a whole, and would suggest trying a different oatmeal stout recipe if you want to do an oatmeal stout.

Not the same as yours, but I bottled a chocolate stout yesterday. I'll try one at 4 weeks, but I'm expecting that it'll be best at about 4 months.

Oops, you are doing an extract, nevermind

(i had suggested checking out Yoopers oatmeal stout recipe for some ideas, it is a great stout but it is all grain.)

Thanks for the info. Yooper, I got this recipe from Brian Smith from Beersmith.com. and have already ordered the ingredients. I wanted an extract recipe since I am still getting my feet wet with brewing. I'm sure an all-grain recipe would be preferred, especially for a stout. One day I will graduate.

If you can I would get yourself some 2-row and throw it in with the grains to convert your oats. Also, in the future I would use pale or light extract and get your color and flavor from specialty grains. I'm not a fan of amber or dark extracts.

With that gravity and amount of hops you should be ok with just a couple weeks of fermenting before you bottle/keg. That's assuming you do everything correctly. If you ferment too warm, don't aerate the wort properly, pitch enough yeast, etc, it will take longer because you'll have off flavours to clean up. I just kicked a keg of a stout that I brewed and had it kegged and ready to drink within 2 weeks of brew day.

The stouts you hear of with really long conditioning times are most likely Imperial Stouts, which have a much higher gravity and ABV. That's a very different beer than the Murphys or Guinness that you're looking to copy. If someone is doing a Guinness clone and they have to let it sit for 4 months before it's ready to drink, they're doing something wrong.

If you have a complicated recipe or want to dry hop it will take longer. Keep it simple and you'll be drinking your beer inside a month. Maybe a month and a half if you bottle.

Back