Old Kit- Good Ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewho0214

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum but definitely not to brewing! Although, here is something that is a first for me. I had bought an all grain kit about 1.5 years ago, put it away and totally forgot about it. I since have brewed a bunch of beer and then found the kit the other day.

Has anyone brewed an "old" kit? I guess it couldn't hurt to give it a whirl, right? Everything is still sealed and looks dry/good. Thoughts?

Cheers!

If the grain was already crushed it might have gotten stale, otherwise yeah good to go. I brewed a 7 year old extract kit once. Added a couple pounds of DME to freshen it up a bit. It was drinkable, but it didn't age well.

If the grains still need to be crushed & they're well sealed,they might be ok. But hops & yeast will be trash.

Thanks all! I'm thinking the same, toss the hops and yeast, keep the grain and DME.

Back