Lets play "What's it going to taste like!?!?!?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoughandReadyRanch

Reaction score
Ok, so my brewing buddy screwed me over and left me holding yeast, orange peel (bitter or sweet not to sure, was kinda sweet) 3.3lbs Breiss wheat LME and WL 320 yeast. I was able to come across Saaz, and willamette hops and 6 lbs of Pilsen LME. So the initial plan was to go with 5LBS pilsen LME and 3.3lbs Wheat LME with Saaz and Hallertau hops for a hoppy high ABV wheat thing with some orange peel. Recipe used:

Starter using Bavarian DME
1)Boil adding 6lbs Pilsen, 3.3lbs Wheat LME + ~0.5-1lb remaining DME (wanted to get rid of it).
2)2 oz Saaz @60min AA3.5%
3)1.5oz Willamette @15min AA5.4%
4)0.5oz Orange peel @15min
5)1.0oz Saaz @0min AA3.5%

Chilled via IC in 15 minutes to 80'F and transferred to BB and starter pitched. Climate controlled at 66'F and have been going for about 2 weeks. Lag was about 4 hours.

I have never worked with willamette nor have I ever thought a high ABV wheat was a good idea. Figured who cares might as well try something different. I will be kegging it tomorrow. The OG was 1.070 which is right around brewtarget's estimation. I am really paranoid about infection and don't want to pull a sample(though I really want to pull a sample). I turn to the homebrewing collective to hear what you think I may have done on the eve of kegging. I am dying to see if I mad the next gutter wine or have made a taste drink for all to enjoy. No matter what we will know soon enough if I screwed the pooch but it's always fun to speculate. Lets hear it!:mug:

Pull a goddam sample, just be sanitary. I sample everything and haven't had an infected batch in 10 years.

Brulosopher said:
Pull a goddam sample, just be sanitary. I sample everything and haven't had an infected batch in 10 years.

And to answer the question:

Banana-y with some orange and spice notes.

RoughandReadyRanch said:
I use to live in Fresno and made it out without any infections as well. Go figure. But I wasn't brewing there:ban:

Ha! Cheers.

Ha! Cheers.

Alright, Damn you peer pressure!!!!! After proper sanitation and then some we have an impressive FG of 1.012, A very nice dark amber color, immediate hoppy flavor that screams IPA followed by a nice mellow sweetening to your standard wheat with a nice lingering spice. I am going to say this may be a nice addition to my lineup. Still early though for the gravity and we will have to see what carbonation will do with this beer but I am happy with this. I was fearing an alcohol burn or an off tasting wheat. :rockin:

RoughandReadyRanch said:
Alright, Damn you peer pressure!!!!! After proper sanitation and then some we have an impressive FG of 1.012, A very nice dark amber color, immediate hoppy flavor that screams IPA followed by a nice mellow sweetening to your standard wheat with a nice lingering spice. I am going to say this may be a nice addition to my lineup. Still early though for the gravity and we will have to see what carbonation will do with this beer but I am happy with this. I was fearing an alcohol burn or an off tasting wheat. :rockin:

;)

Back