Steam Boiler Alternative ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludo

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
First things first. Thats my first post here even if I read a ton of information on this site. :eek: I really enjoy this forum and just want to tell it before starting with my question.
:mug:
Some folks here use steam for mashing and I'm considering it to for a near future...
I saw the steam boiler made with corny and was thinking if there's any concern of making one with PVC. :confused:
A piece of 2' of 6"diam. can hold more than 2 gal. and is ok with the pressure I guess. The problem I can see is with the sanitary of the PVC at this range of temperature (240F).

An other question for those who use steam. How many water are you using durring a normal session? I guess if it's not to much, copper pipe of 2"diam. could be an other alternative with a length of maybe 4-5 feet (3/4 gal).

Please don't be too bad with me, I'm a FRENCH newbie (by language, not country)!

I think you might find a pressure cooker easier to deal with. Unless you're into very large brews.

Pvc pipe is not meant for temperatures above 120 Deg f., strength goes down quickly as temperature goes up. Stick with a pressure cooker and do not remove the pressure relief valve to connect your plumbing, add a tee where the gauge is connected. Would hate to see you find out the hard way that the superheated water in the pressure cooker expands about 1400 times the volume of water if you had a gasket or lid failure.

Back