American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewshock

Reaction score
My first batch has been in the Primary for 9 days now. The OG was 1.050. My fermentation temp has been a steady 72-74F. I just took a sample and the SG is currently 1.025. Does it sound like I am on the right track?

It appears that the yeast is doing it's job. Don't think it's quite done though. Needs to drop some more.

Yes you are on the right track! Check the gravity again in 12 days (for 3 weeks total) and if it is at or near the target FG check again the following day or day after. If it is stable bottle away!

Was this an extract recipe or did you do your own mash? What style of beer are we talking about?

Did you actually sample the temperature of the beer, or did you read the air temp. on a strip gauge? I say this because active ferm. temp. will be about 4-8 degrees higher than ambient air temp. That would put you at 78-82 F ferm temp... and even 72-74 F is a bit high for 1272 in an IPA in my opinion.

I would recommend leaving the beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks then bottling.

I don't know man, 9 days at those temps? It's gotta be pretty close to FG...1272 is a slow fermenter, but I don't think it's that slow. Check it again in a few days...obviously 1.025 is too high, that's only 50% attenuation, you should be shooting for ~75% (FG < 1.015). Do you still see a lot of yeast in suspension? 1272 is a solid flocculator, so it's usually pretty clear (double meaning there) when it's done.

Also, technically an American IPA has a 1.056 minimum OG (in case some elitist challenges you). To me, if it tastes like an IPA, call it an IPA.

bobbrews said:
Did you actually sample the temperature of the beer, or did you read the air temp. on a strip gauge? I say this because active ferm. temp. will be about 4-8 degrees higher than ambient air temp. That would put you at 78-82 F ferm temp... and even 72-74 F is a bit high for 1272 in an IPA in my opinion.

I would recommend leaving the beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks then bottling.

I was reading air temp. I know the sticky strips don't read inside temp just like in aquariums. I didn't know how much a difference there would be on the inside of the glass carboy. Now I do. Thanks. But that puts me at 1.026 currently.
Going to just wait it out.

[QUOTE=" Do you still see a lot of yeast in suspension? 1272 is a solid flocculator, so it's usually pretty clear (double meaning there) when it's done.[/QUOTE]

It still has plenty of yeast in suspension. I figure it will clear up in the next week.

Back