Batch Sparging with Beersmith ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaysurfer

Former future HOF Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So does anyone else batch sparge and notice that the beersmith batch sparge profile doesn't give you water temps for your mashout?

In other words, it merely says: "Add 3 gallons 170F water" for a strike temp of 168. Which, when you add 3 gallons of 170F water for a strike temp of 168 to a 10# grainbill already at a bed temp of 150, you end up with a step up to 155 or so. I generally have to use the infusion tool then add another 10F because most of the calculations I get from Beersmith end up way too low.

I'm sure someone will want to know about my equipment profile..well I believe it's all set up right. I mash in a 10G igloo, and I check the box that says "adjust temps for my equipment".

Any thoughts?

Hmmmm.......

Are you sure you have the correct mash option selected?

I use the old version (whatever prior to 2.0) and it calculates mash out temp correctly. I would double check that you have a "mashout step" selected. 170 sounds like the default sparge temp.

Yes, you are right. 170 is the default sparge temp. I can manually add a step, but that's really a true infusion, and since I batch, I just drain the tun (save for about 2/3 gallon that remains in the bottom of the tun) and then split the sparge water into 2 evenly divided amounts and try to use the first infusion to step the grainbed up to mashout temps.

I confess I may be totally butchering this, but since there is a "Single Infusion Medium Body No Mashout" profile, shouldn't I be choosing the "Single infusion Medium Body" profile and getting a mashout step? I don't know that my mashtun is big enough to add an infusion big enough to increase the temp to 170 without draining it first.

Thanks in advance.

You can skip the mashout if you're batch sparging. In fact, I'd recommend it...invest that time & effort elsewhere.

Tytanium-hope you're still lurking, but would you just recommend using 170F water to sparge with? I end up splitting the sparge infusions into two parts anyway, so I guess I thought a mashout infusion (to raise the bed temp to 168f) was a good use of one of them? It's not really extra time the way I do it, unless I'm missing something, which is completely possible.

I batch sparge at 168, my running go straight to my brew pot which quickly brings them to boil. THe point of the step is to deavtivate the enzymes, by batch sparging (much quicker than fly) you dont need this step

So what temp does your mash out infusion require (if you're using a cooler like me)? If you infuse a 150f bed of grain 10lbs, you only raise the bed temp to about 156 or so. That would not (if I'm not mistaken) "deactivate the enzymes".

Tytanium-hope you're still lurking, but would you just recommend using 170F water to sparge with? I end up splitting the sparge infusions into two parts anyway, so I guess I thought a mashout infusion (to raise the bed temp to 168f) was a good use of one of them? It's not really extra time the way I do it, unless I'm missing something, which is completely possible.

Just use hot water, it doesn't really matter much. 180ish is often quoted as optimal (raises the grain bed to 168)...this theoretically dissolves more sugars, but the difference is negligible, IMO. 170 is great.

With batch sparging, you're starting the boil right away and mashout happens in the kettle...whereas fly sparging you may sparge over an hour, so a mashout is more imprortant.

So for batch sparging, my time is more important that precisely heating sparge water...just get it hot and spend your time & effort elsewhere.

I have my sparge water temp set to 180. I'll take whatever extract I can get, but I certainly don't sweat it...180 water makes sure the grain bed will be less than 180.

As ty said, I start heating the batches as soon as they are drained from the MLT.

A true "mashout" is done by adding hot water prior to draining the first runnings. Which as you noticed, beersmith will calculate for you if you select the right option.

If you are batch sparging then you can pretty much put your thermometers away and stop worrying about your grain bed temp at the end of the mash. Make sure you hit your target mash temp and hold it. Then heat your sparge water somewhere between 170-180 and your're set. Exact temp isnt critical.

Theres some debate as to the benefit of a mashout step but the general consensus seems to be that if you are batch sparging then its not needed. This is assuming you are able to get your wort heated in a reasonable amount of time after running it off.

I have waivered back and forth on this in practice over the three years i have been brewing and havent found a noticeable difference in taste or body between beers with and without a mashout.

I've found using about 190° sparge water gets me between 166-170° with 11-14 lbs. of grain in my 10 gal. Igloo cooler. As mentioned previously, you don't have to be that precise, but close is nice I suppose.

It's too complicated for Beersmith to handle. :D It can't provide the right temp for the sparge water.

I too, just bring it up to around 180 to 190.

I've found using about 190° sparge water gets me between 166-170° with 11-14 lbs. of grain in my 10 gal. Igloo cooler. As mentioned previously, you don't have to be that precise, but close is nice I suppose.

Thanks for all the responses. I learned things from many of them, and this is pretty much the exact answer I had hoped for.

One thing that I didn't mention that does play into all this is that I don't always boil right after mashing. On occasion I'll store the wort overnight in a sealed bucket and in a fridge because I don't always have the 7 hours to commit to a brew session in one block of time. So getting the bed to 170 takes on a bit more importance for me in those situations.

Like on Sunday. I mashed, went to a piano recital, then came home and boiled. :)

Back