How much yeast will be left?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebou4860

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer I currently use for summer brewing. I wanted to use this as a fridge for a party tomorrow. I have an IPA at the end of its secondary stage currently in the fridge. If I drop the temp in the fridge to 40-45 degrees will enough yeast stay in suspension to carbonate the beer in bottles when I bottle them next Sunday or will I kill off too many yeasties?

You should be fine. Just bring the beer back up to temp. before you bottle and you shouldn't have any problems. If you're really worried, you can always pitch a packet of cheap dry yeast for carbing, I've done that before with great success.

It should be fine. To my knowledge, cold, particularly only in the 40-45 degrees, wont kill ale yeast, it will just make them go dormant.

However, if you are worried about it, would it be plausible to just take the carboy out of the fridge and keep it in a tub of cool water for a day?

Also when you are racking to your bottling bucket you can give your racking cane a little swirl to stir up a little bit of yeast and rack it over to your bucket so it will mix in before bottling. but you should be fine with what is still in suspention.

Back