IPA still fermenting after six days...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg75

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA last Saturday, and ended up pitching the yeast around 7:00 p.m. Sunday morning, around 10:00, the telltale signs of fermentation were evident. By 4:00 pm, my wort was off to the races, quickly on it's way to transforming to beer. I used some ghetto methods to keep the fermentation temps between 68-70 degrees for the first four days, with little sign of slowing airlock activity. Now, here I am, going on six days after pitching, and I'm still getting bubbles in the airlock about every three seconds. The krauesin has somewhat dropped, but there's still a surprising amount of activity going on.

Now, every other brew I've done, the majority of fermentation had subsided after four days or so. These were all relatively high gravity brews, also. But this one just keeps on going. Maybe my recipe has something to do with it? It's 15 lbs. of Golden Promise, 1 lb. Crystal 20, and White Labs Pacific Ale yeast (WLP041). Is this normal, or am I right to be questioning why this is taking so long?

Leave it alone until bubbles are at least 90 seconds apart. then transfer it to the secondary. if you're not using a secondary, you may want to leave it in the primary a little longer, no more than 2 weeks, and then bottle.

My IPA's run from 4 days to 2 weeks to finish out dependent on the grain bill/mash temp/ferm. temp. I wouldn't worry a bit. Patience is a virtue that is easier to preach than practice. Just let your Hydrometer guide your hand. Oh yeah, almost forgot

RDWHAHB

My beers often go a week to ten days, sometimes two or three weeks (I agree with others who say you should rack after a couple of weeks, although I've let it go longer than that) . I have five gallons right now on its 16th day, bubbles about eight seconds apart. If you're worried, and it's convenient, check your gravity; if it's not convenient, don't worry, it'll get there.

cheers, -p

Back