Hefe recipe in the works...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastamorous

Reaction score
I am creating a recipe based on some readings and other recipes out there I have seen. I wanted suggestions from other brewers on this recipe.
I am going for a hefe, or similar. I don't care if it fits the style exactly, but I am hoping for similar flavor profile of a hefeweissen.

2# Crystal Malt
6# Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
1oz Hallertau
Safbrew WB-06 Yeast

I would have gone with Wyeast weiss yeast, but it was not available at the store I went to.

Any suggestions/comments would be great.

What Lovibond level is the crystal? 2lb is going to be quite a bit, unless it is pretty light, even a 40L is going to give you an 11 SRM, which pretty much puts it into Dunkelweiss territory. Plus, you are looking at a 1.060 OG.

You will probably be disappointed with the WB-06. Your beer will taste of bubblegum and soap suds.

With a Hefeweissen ("Hefe" means yeast), the yeast is EVERYTHING. Track down a nice liquid, like Wyeast 3068.

:ban:

It says on the package Lovibond is 49-64.
What if I cut it to 1# of crystal and kept all the wheat DME? That should keep the SRM down, no?
Unfortunately it was the only yeast in the store that seemed to fit the wheat beer style. I'll give it a try, and we'll see what happens.
And I'm only doing a 5 gallon/20L batch.

Yeah, try cutting the crystal in half.

Don't expect too much from that yeast. And, don't let the results (if they turn out bad) put you off brewing Hefeweissens.

:mug:

I think I have decided it will end up being a light dunkelweizen or a very dark hefeweizen.
And after reading the many comments about WB-06, I will definitely not be turned off.
This will be a good experiment in wheat beer for me.
Thanks for the advice

Back