Pitching on old yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RokGoblin

Reaction score
OK, so I know you are typically supposed to re-pitch yeast into progressively darker and stronger wort, but what could I expect if I were to attempt to make a brown ale after a stout? More roasty flavors? Slightly darker wort?

Fresh WLP002 in a 1000ml starter was what I originally pitched into my stout.

Harvest slurry from your fermenter and pitch that. Do not put fresh wort onto an entire yeast cake. It is not good brewing practice.

Harvesting is insanely easy: Clean and sanitize a scoop. I used a stainless-steel kitchen measuring cup; glass works also. Clean and sanitize several Mason or glass jam/peanut butter jars. Carefully - you don't want to nick or scratch the plastic fermenter - scoop up enough yeast to fill each jar halfway. Seal tightly and immediately refrigerate. Use within seven days. Now go clean that filthy fermenter. ;)

For most beers (OG 1.040-1.060), a cup - 8 fluid ounces - of slurry is an appropriate amount of slurry to pitch. The formulae and in-depth information is yours if you want it; PM or email.

One of these days, I'm gonna just write this into a file and save it, so I don't have to rewrite it over and over again. ;)

Cheers!

Bob

Back