Name a brewing software that can do this...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunchbox

Reaction score
other than Beer Alchemy

Beer Target will calculate what SHOULD be gravity, attenuation, and efficiency. But Beer Alchemy will let you enter the gravity and whatnot of what you actually brewed. Does any other software do that?

My spreadsheet does it all. Plus, I can add to it, update it and whatnot without having to wait, to pay, or to alter code and recompile. It's as simple as adding a formula. Plus, it's free and open source. So others can use it and make it better and share their updates with the world! ;D

Maybe there's a nuance to the feature you're talking about but there are two ways to do this in Beer tools pro. You can correct the attributes as measured in the recipe file or you can use file names to differentiate. An example would be to save a barleywine recipe with a file name like Barleywine 2009 Recipe. After you brew it, you name it Brewed_Jan2009_Barleywine Recipe. In that instance of the file, you change all the parameters as measured and make your notes about the session. That way if you brew it again, you'll have another instance.

Promash does. In Promash you create recipe files and brew session files. In each brew session you choose a recipe file then enter info that pertains to that brew session, like your actual gravity and whatnot.

My spreadsheet does it all. Plus, I can add to it, update it and whatnot without having to wait, to pay, or to alter code and recompile. It's as simple as adding a formula. Plus, it's free and open source. So others can use it and make it better and share their updates with the world! ;D

you could make that your sales pitch and charge $10 per day to use it! :ban:

you could make that your sales pitch and charge $10 per day to use it! :ban:

Never! I'd much rather give it out and let people have at it. And then let them all improve it and share it around. And maybe over time it will be useful. And free. And we can convince other brewers no to pay for something that can be free. The information is all out there. It just takes time and a lot of patience to put it all together.

Never! I'd much rather give it out and let people have at it. And then let them all improve it and share it around. And maybe over time it will be useful. And free. And we can convince other brewers no to pay for something that can be free. The information is all out there. It just takes time and a lot of patience to put it all together.

amen to that :mug:

how about a link???

other than Beer Alchemy

Beer Target will calculate what SHOULD be gravity, attenuation, and efficiency. But Beer Alchemy will let you enter the gravity and whatnot of what you actually brewed. Does any other software do that?

That's a pretty basic feature. Beersmith has it, Promash does, and so does just about every online calculator that I have seen.

Yeah, to hell with paying people for their hard work.

That's a pretty basic feature. Beersmith has it, Promash does, and so does just about every online calculator that I have seen.
Actually, Promash doesn't predict the FG (unless it is 1.012)
What would be more interesting to me is to find out how many of the FG predictions are accurate.

-a.

Actually, Promash doesn't predict the FG (unless it is 1.012)
What would be more interesting to me is to find out how many of the FG predictions are accurate.

-a.

That's a tough one. I just take the average attenuation of the yeast I'll be pitching and calculate it that way. It's not exact, but it works for me.

how about a link???

No problem. Let me get it online and I'll update this with the link by the weekend.

Edit: I use Linux as my operating system, not Windows. Again, something I don't want to pay for. Plus, it's just so much more robust and reliable. Anyways, I used OpenOffice to make the spreadsheet. I have saved a version in Microshaft Excel format, but I can't offer guarantees that it will work and look exactly as the OpenOffice version does on my computer. However, OpenOffice is free and also available to Windows users.

Please remember that this is a work in progress. I am adding styles, grains, hops, yeast, and other information as I encounter something new in my own brews. So those sheets are not complete. I don't see the sense in doing all the work now when I can just add a few of the ones I need when I brew a batch that needs them. I'm constantly working on updating the design to make it "flow" better. The section labeled "Useful Variables" includes those things that I've thought useful since making the spreadsheet. They will go in the proper place in the next revision. That section will then be blank for more new useful variables. The general process is simple: fill in the areas in yellow. Everything else is calculated. The best way to add grains, hops, yeast, and styles is to insert a new row somewhere in the middle of the list, add the item, and then sort on the first column.

I'm including a blank template, a default template that I have filled with some typical values for my system, and a sample sheet of one of my recent brews that's mostly filled out (it's still in the primary). Enjoy!

The OpenOffice version (new version)
The Microshaft Excel version (new version)

By the way, it goes without saying that I did not "invent" any of this information. Well, maybe I've thought of some useful variables and formulas. But without the resources of a lot of people, web sites, and fellow homebrewers, it wouldn't exist. So if you see something familiar in here, thanks! But honestly, there aren't too many ways to represent the same information. So much of the variables and formulas will probably be similar to what you find online or in brewing software. Again, I just prefer the open source and free mentality. Things tend to be better that way. You know, it's a numbers game. More people can participate to make it better.

Oh, and if you change it or improve it, please share it back with me!

Back