Stuck quick disconnect.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kniles38

Reaction score
So, I put my gas in line quick disconnect onto my beer out post.

Now it will not come off.

Anyone have this happen? Advice on how to get off?

I tried brute force. No luck.

pull up on the QD collar and pry it up from the bottom with a screwdriver.

Add colored tape near the posts to make it more visable which is which to prevent this from happening again.

If brute force didn't work, it wasn't brutal enough. The time I did this, I used a 2' pry-bar.

Now I use red or green o-rings on my gas-ins and black on the beverage.

This happened to me with a delicious porter that cost me 60 dollars to make.... Unfortunately, the beer was spraying out all over the floor, after about 15 seconds of yanking and prying, I had to slam it with a crescent wrench. broke the disconnect, saved three gallons of beer.

Thinking back on it, im not sure why i didn't just pull the e-vent and release all the pressure. One never knows i guess.

Sad story.

Lesson learned: Don't do that! Gas QDs are meant for Gas posts.

The two posts look identical and I've thought that it might help force carbing to hook the gas to the out line so they bubble up from the bottom... somehow your comments are making me not so sure that would work...

The two posts look identical and I've thought that it might help force carbing to hook the gas to the out line so they bubble up from the bottom... somehow your comments are making me not so sure that would work...

It's because they are not identical. Look close at the ridge on each post, one is much wider than the other

Doesn't all the gas IN posts have 12 point wrench base and the beer OUT posts have 6 point base? As well as the different sizes.

Doesn't all the gas IN posts have 12 point wrench base and the beer OUT posts have 6 point base? As well as the different sizes.

Not all of them. I have two kegs so far and one of them has two 6 point bases.

If you wanted to pressurize from the out post (bubbling up from the bottom of the dip tube), can't you just attach the air LINE to the beer disconnect? What I mean to say is swap the lines, but keep the disconnects in place as they're supposed to be?

Thinking back on it, im not sure why i didn't just pull the e-vent and release all the pressure. One never knows i guess.

Sad story.

I had a similar situation where beer was spraying out and I was panicking trying to just keep the beer from spraying all over....

When I should have just pulled the pressure relief valve like SJLAMMER said. I thought exactly the same thing after the fact when everything settled. I felt REALLY DUMB, lol! But hey thats how we learn, right? :D

got it.

crowbar. no problem. thanks david.

i put it on the wrong one on purpose. read somewhere on here that if you get hops stuck in the dip tube to blow co2 down the outpost. that worked well until the qd stuck.

no lost beer. plenty drank though.

thanks everyone.

Back