I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My SWMBO's Birthday is 9-9 as well, wish I could get her drunk on some Barleywine and then help her celebrate (or help me celebrate.) It'll be interesting to see what Brewpastor comes up with, I'd like to see something so insanely hoppy and malty that it makes Bigfoot Barleywine drink like water (but I'm sure you'd all rather have something a little less potent).

A while back, RichBrewer and I were discussing the 888 RIS, and we both thought that a Barleywine would be a good choice for 999, given the catchy name, and not having to lager the beer like a Doppelbock.

This sounds like a lot of fun. I'll brew for sure, but I'm going to hold off on joining the swap just yet -- I want to make sure I'll be able to participate before I sign up.

I am in. :mug: Barleywine's are delicious....the punch in the throat that I love. (Stone's Old Guardian being my favorite).

I even have a smoker (but would need a lesson on how to smoke grains).

LETS DO IT!!:rockin:

Couevas said:
I am in. :mug: Barleywine's are delicious....the punch in the throat that I love. (Stone's Old Guardian being my favorite).

I even have a smoker (but would need a lesson on how to smoke grains).

LETS DO IT!!

Remember I need a PM to confirm everyones participation.

Jamo99 said:
I'm happy with these turn of events :) Definately was out because of the lagering, but it looks like I'll be brewing a barleywine! girlfriends b-day is september 9 too. everyone, play along

Again...this is only for paid members. That's just the way it's been so turn loose of the $15 and get on board.

Id prefer a BW.
Would anyone object exchanging with me if its my first BW?
If not I'm in. It sure gives me some time to prep for it!

CBBaron said:
Sounds like a great idea. I've havn't done a barleywine yet either and I should.
The problem is I have a 5gal cooler MLT. So how much DME am I going to need to get to barley wine strength?

I guess I have some time to purchase a larger cooler and change over the bulkhead.
:rockin:
Craig

you could do two seperate mashes.

i'm in.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Id prefer a BW.
I think this will be many folks' first Barleywine.

No reason an experienced brewer can't pull one off though.

As someone who will turn 30 on 09-09-09, this sounds like a great idea. Just don't know if I'm ready for a Bareleywine yet in my brewing career.

Brewpastor said:
....and I think I will probable include some LME in the all-grain recipe to help insure everyone gets to the gravity we want without an extra long boil.
I will get working on it as time allows. If you have things you would like me to consider, such as specific grains or sugars, let me know. There has been some talk about smoking grains for example. I don't want to make a crappy, big mac, least common denominator beer, but I do want this to reflect the forum's view.

I like the idea of having some smoked grains, although it may not be for everyone it could be an optional thing? Also, what about some simple sugar, possibly instead of LME, to help get the grav up and keep the FG from being to high? I realize BW finish high, but when they're too high, to me, its not a good thing. And the bitterness will fade, so just jacking up the IBU's is not the best 'sulution' IMHO(not to say it doesn't need to be up there though).

landhoney said:
I like the idea of having some smoked grains, although it may not be for everyone it could be an optional thing? Also, what about some simple sugar, possibly instead of LME, to help get the grav up and keep the FG from being to high? I realize BW finish high, but when they're too high, to me, its not a good thing. And the bitterness will fade, so just jacking up the IBU's is not the best 'sulution' IMHO(not to say it doesn't need to be up there though).

I like the idea of some simple sugar (I'm thinking 2 lbs) too keep the the FG from being too high. I think this is doubly important to us extract brewers. The last extract high grav ale I brewed was a RIS that started at 1.096. I pitched a huge starter on it, and still never got the attenuation I wanted. I even pitched chamagne yeast to try to dry it out, but it was done. I wished I had used a couple of pounds of simple sugar in that recipe.

We are going to be doing our first AG batch in a little over a month and have never done a swap. Think this would be over our head for a first go? I would really love to get in one some of these swaps.

9/9 said:
We are going to be doing our first AG batch in a little over a month and have never done a swap. Think this would be over our head for a first go? I would really love to get in one some of these swaps.
The 999 Brew isn't for several months.

If you can get 3 or 4 batches under your belt, I'd imagine you could swing a big beer like this.

Worst case is that you botch the whole thing and simply bow out of the swap...but I'd encourage any brewer to challenge themselves (within reason).

BierMuncher said:
The 999 Brew isn't for several months.

If you can get 3 or 4 batches under your belt, I'd imagine you could swing a big beer like this.

Worst case is that you botch the whole thing and simply bow out of the swap...but I'd encourage any brewer to challenge themselves (within reason).

Alright, you talked me into it.

I'm in. :mug:

Id prefer a BW.

I would like to be a part of this as well, my first Barleywine also
mine will bottle condition a bit longer I am going to brew
a Barleywine this week, Because I am runing out of time to brew
and if nothing else just to do it

Is it ok, if the Lhbs doesn't have the right hops and we have to sub? My store is really running short on a lot of popular hops.

RICLARK said:
Is it ok, if the Lhbs doesn't have the right hops and we have to sub? My store is really running short on a lot of popular hops.
Of course. Especially in todays' environment. I had to sub in the hops for the RIS.

The recipe will be a default, but as long as folks adhere to the 999 theme, flexibility is part of the game.

After all, the brewer is going to end up with 1 1/2 cases of barleywine so they ought to be given some leeway.

I am getting pretty excited about this, it looks like there is going to be a good turnout on this one! Even though I brewed the 888, Iwish I had gotten involved in that swap.

I am in! Can't wait to see that recipie;)

I am not yet a supporter but hope to be soon (for some reason brewing is one thing to SWMBO, but the nerdiness of paying for online forums she is not quite over, I give her another couples weeks to come around;)). Can I still sign up for this trade in the future? please...

I would vote for a smoked BW, sounds awesome.

Boerderij Kabouter said:
I am not yet a supporter but hope to be soon (for some reason brewing is one thing to SWMBO, but the nerdiness of paying for online forums she is not quite over, I give her another couples weeks to come around;)). Can I still sign up for this trade in the future? please...

I would vote for a smoked BW, sounds awesome.
Sure. We probably won't get around to finalizing the list until later in September.

I'm not going to lock down the list until people have brewed.

Now...start checking the sofa for spare change and ante up... :ban:

i'm down. i couldn't help but open a few of the RIS 08/08/08 already. They're amazing. 4 more months and i'll really break into them :)

I'm always willing to try one of BrewPastor's recipes.

DeathBrewer said:
i'm down. i couldn't help but open a few of the RIS 08/08/08 already. They're amazing. 4 more months and i'll really break into them :)

I'm always willing to try one of BrewPastor's recipes.

You're in. I just received 4 RIS bottles from the Pastor himself. :ban:

...damn lazy banana...

CBBaron said:
The problem is I have a 5gal cooler MLT. So how much DME am I going to need to get to barley wine strength?
do a 3 gallon batch or a double mash for 5 gallons - mash 20 - 24 lbs of grain in a 5 gal cooler by using the first runnings of a 10 - 12 lb mash as liquor for a second 10 - 12 lb mash. terribly inefficient but gets ya there without extract.

A comment about the swap. In addition to the BW we will be sending. I will be sending some local micros. This will be my first swap so I dont know if the local thing is common practice but it would be cool to give and receive local stuff.
Just a thought.

Im getting excited about this already!

A comment about the swap. In addition to the BW we will be sending. I will be sending some local micros. This will be my first swap so I dont know if the local thing is common practice but it would be cool to give and receive local stuff.
Just a thought.

Im getting excited about this already!
I included a bottle of a local RIS with my 08.08.08 swap but that was in addition to the 4 bottles of home brew I sent. I would rather receive 4 bottles of homebrew than receive some regional commercial brew. But thats just my opinion.

Craig

This may be off topic and better for another thread, but I have a question about choosing local brews to include. Is there a good way to figure out the distribution of a beer? If I am going to include a couple of extra commercial brews, I would want to make sure it wasn't something that the person on the other end could get at their local store. Is the best thing just to check the brewery's website for any distribution info?

I am really looking forward to doing my first real swap on here!

CBBaron said:
I included a bottle of a local RIS with my 08.08.08 swap but that was in addition to the 4 bottles of home brew I sent. I would rather receive 4 bottles of homebrew than receive some regional commercial brew. But thats just my opinion.

Craig
I agree.

This is a homebrew swap so the 44 ounces minimum stands for HB.

If you want to go over and above with a bottle or two of local craft...I doubt very much that you'll get any objections. :D

9/9, Definitley check out the distribution on the brewery website. I know for a fact that I can't get any Stone products here in Missouri....(not that I just made any sort fo hint or anything.... ;))

9/9 said:
This may be off topic and better for another thread, but I have a question about choosing local brews to include. Is there a good way to figure out the distribution of a beer? If I am going to include a couple of extra commercial brews, I would want to make sure it wasn't something that the person on the other end could get at their local store. Is the best thing just to check the brewery's website for any distribution info?

I am really looking forward to doing my first real swap on here!

in the MArch swap, I sent 4 Hb's and a Beer from one of the Michigan Breweries here. I plan on doing this in every swap because I like to share what I like up here.

Here it is, recipe 1 for an all-grain, un-smoked 9/9/9 Barleywine (no small beer here):

9-9-9 Barleywine
19-C American Barleywine
19.jpg

Size: 5.76 gal
Efficiency: 65.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 402.69 per 12.0 fl oz
Original Gravity: 1.119 (1.080 - 1.120)
|=======================#========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.030 (1.016 - 1.030)
Color: 19.1 (10.0 - 19.0)
|========================#=======|
Alcohol: 11.95% (8.0% - 12.0%)
Bitterness: 99.03 (50.0 - 120.0)
|===================#============|
Ingredients:
23.0 lbs Pale Ale
2.0 lbs Munich Malt
6.0 oz Pale Chocolate
4.0 oz Special B - Caramel malt
12.0 oz Crystal Malt 80°L
1.5 lbs White Table Sugar (Sucrose)
1.66 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 25.0 min
1.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
2 ea WYeast 1056 American Ale
Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 ft
00:33:00 Mash In - Liquor: 8.24 gal; Strike: 162.3 °F; Target: 150.0 °F
01:33:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60.0 min; Final: 148.0 °F
01:41:41 Mash Out - Heat: 8.7 min; Target: 168.0 °F
02:26:41 Sparge - Sparge: 1.46 gal sparge @ 170.0 °F, 6.6 gal collected, 45.0 min; Total Runoff: 6.77 gal
Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29

Thank you BrewPastor.

Anything with 400 calories per 12-ounces must be good.

Okay fellow brewers. Hers' the default recipe. I'll add this to the sticky under Sampling & Critiquing.

1.119 is a big beer. If your setup is limited in size, don't take no for an answer. Post your setup and let us help make it work. Supplementing your rig with DME is a very viable option.

By my count we're well over 30 participants for this thing already.

Of the Big 3 only Northern has all of these hops in stock (provided they are not lieing). Lets start looking for hop subs!

HP35 Centennial Pellets 1 oz. $6.99
HP13 Cascade Pellets 1 oz. $3.99
HP26 Yakima Magnum Pellets 1 oz. $6.99

Extended price for the recipe $31.95!

Cascades I can get.
Centennial are harder to find.
Can you sub Galenas for the Magnum?

I think any "American" hop will work on this. But those Big C hops have a great flavor. I know a certain brewer around these parts has a huge stock pile of Centennials pellets. I imagine he could be convinced to share with the community.

I think we need to break the recipe down to IBUs or AAUs for each addition and brewers can mark their own choices.

What about subbing Warrior for Magnum, and Summit for the Centennial. Or use a little more summit for the magnum and centennial?

In other words.... I have summit hops already.....:D

I Have a 10 Gallon MLT and I don't Think it is gonna cut it for this monster. I think its time to upgrade!:rockin:

Cenntenial is a for sure no go for me. LHBS hasn't seen them in a year.

Back