1st Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rescue brew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
White Labs Irish Ale
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
don't know sorry
Color
black as night
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 @ 75 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 75 degrees
7 lbs Dark LME ( i used jon bull )
1/2 lbs chocolate malt
1/2 lbs roasted barley
2 oz fuggles hops pellets
white labs irish ale yeast

-Added crushed grains to 2 gallons cool water
-Turned on the heat, let steep until temp hit 190-200 degrees
-Removed grains with a sterilized strainer
-Added 7 lbs of Dark LME
-Added 1 oz Fuggles hops
-Brought wort to a boil
-Boiled for 45 minutes
-Poured hot wort through strainer into a glass carboy with 2 galllons of ice cold water -Topped off with cold water to 5 gallon mark
-Added yeast at 75 degrees
-Primary for 5 days at 75 degrees
-Secondary for 14 at 75 degrees
-Bottled with 3/4 cup corn sugar

-First sample was after 2 weeks in the bottle, and it was great ! Taste is toasty with slight coffee & chocolate notes. This is my first stout, The recipe was very easy and I couldn't have been happier.

this didnt turn out too bitter? I used the same amount of chocolate malt with 6.6 lbs coopers stout LME and no hops(coopers pre hopped) and it was real bitter, granted this was one of my first batches ever but it aged for a while, almost 2 months and it was better but alot more bitter then I wanted. think I steeped too hot maybe?

No, not to bitter for my taste and I'm not a huge fan of super hoppy, bitter beers right now.

I would think the difference between our recipes would be the pre hopped LME that you used. I've never used that kind, so I couldn't really say.

I would describe this recipe as more toasty than bitter.

Thanks for the post in language I could mostly understand. I'm going to give your recipe a try. This will only be my second batch to brew in a very long time so If you can give me some more specifics of your procedure I'd love to read them. (My first batch didn't turn out)

Back