Counterflow chiller with pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalex2004

Reaction score
I was thinking about using a pump to pump ice water through my cfc in order to chill to lager temps. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and if so what size pump and how effective was it. My cfc is gravity feed so no pump for wort.

This isn't a terribly unusual plan; a simple 1/5HP pump is more than enough, and I've known people to do it with a basic aquarium pump as well. If you go this route, I'd recommend just running tap water through for the first 75 degrees or so; the ice really becomes more useful to get yourself down that last bit. That'll help you conserve on your ice requirements too.

Maybe I'm missing something here because I have heard a lot of people say this. Other than recirculating I don't see how that can work on a gravity feed cfc.

Ahhh, you're correct; I misread the situation. You would have to recirculate in order to use my suggestion. Your setup sounds similar to my own, and yes, I periodically pump chilled water too; it effectively depends on whether or not I'm too lazy/forgetful to pick up ice ahead of time.

Thanks for the reply. I just picked up a 1/5 hp utility pump today and plan on brewing Friday. What size pump are you using?

Back