Modifying the Oaked Imperial Stout True Brew Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arlen

Reaction score
I've added a list below of what I believe the ingredients in this kit are. It's a fairly standard one though I'll, of course, not follow the kit instructions exactly. (Likely going to at least do a secondary fermentation so that it needs less time to age in the bottles.)

At any rate, I really want to make this a coconut imperial stout. I've been playing with different ideas on how to do this and what to add. I'd really like to introduce some toasted coconut and some coconut milk to the brewing process to have a creamy, coconut-y imperial at the end. (I know the milk would make it cloudy. I don't mind that.)

When would you folk suggest I add these in? My inclination would be to do so about the same time as the aromatic hopping so that I don't lose the flavours in the boil. A friend suggested it may be better to do during the primary fermentation to really get the full flavours.

Any suggestions and prior experience would be most welcome.

INGREDIENT LIST

Hopped Dark Malt Extract (1 can)
Unhopped Dark Malt Extract (1 can)
Light Dried Malt Extract (1 lb)
Dark Dried Malt Extract (1 lb)
Dark Crystal Grain Malt (.25 lb)
Roasted Barley Grain (.25 lb)
Chocolate Grain Malt (.5 lb)
Grain Steeping Bag
Nugget Hop Pellets (1 oz)
Fermentis US-05 Ale Yeast (1 pack)
Heavy Toast Oak Powder (3 oz)