First pour from my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djfriesen

Reaction score
So I'm pretty stoked. Poured my first homebrew, an Everyday IPA from Brooklyn Brew Shop, last night. 3 weeks in primary, 2 weeks bottled conditioning, and a couple days in the fridge. It was a little earlier than I wanted, but SWMBO insisted. She absolutely loved it. I might just be picky cuz it's mine, but I tasted a little bit of fusels at the end. The good thing about that is, I brewed and fermented this before I even knew temperature control was important, much less implemented temp control methods. So the only off taste I can pick up, I know exactly how to fix.

Thanks for all the help all. :mug:

Sounds like another week or 2 is in order. Maybe 3,as it seems to need a hair more time to clean up & condition a bit more. Congrats on the IPA though!

SWMBO is just a little too impatient, and she won't let me step up to 5 gal yet. This equals not enough conditioning time. Oh well, it is very drinkable, and I enjoy it. I just know it can be better.

It seems to me that my 1st IPA carbed up very well in 10 days flat. But was way better at 5 weeks. That's why I said more time was needed to be really good. But mine was pretty good at that 10 day mark. Just not all it could be,so I made her wait by explaining what was going on. She def learns from listening to how I go through my process. Try that maybe?

Oh, she helped my on brew day. Maybe doesn't know everything about what's going on, but at least aware of the process. And I've explained how the yeast will just make the beer better with time. Her response is, "So we're never gonna open this beer? Cuz it will never be good enough?" The problem was, I let her talk me into putting one in the fridge and then trying it. Now she loves it, and will not let it sit in a closet for another 3 weeks.

If I could do a bigger batch, I could get ahead of her maybe. Until then, it will be constant catch-up.

We did that with some of my beers. She sometimes catches flavors I don't taste right away. Or aromas. I then explain how the extra week(s) will improve them,& she won't be waiting forever. I'm a real stickler about this.

SWMBO is just a little too impatient, and she won't let me step up to 5 gal yet. This equals not enough conditioning time. Oh well, it is very drinkable, and I enjoy it. I just know it can be better.

You need to convince her that bigger batches are better. More beer! You might try hiding a few bottles (3 or 4) then bring it out after another month. The improvement can be remarkable. If she realizes how much better the beer can be with more conditioning time she may become a bit more patient. :)

Congratulations on the first home brew! I am close to getting a chance to opening my first beer. I bottled after 2weeks primary 2 weeks secondary I plan on 3 weeks in bottle and 1 week in fridge.

I can't wait. well I can, but I CAN'T!!

Congrats on the brew. Next time refrigerate some and archive some for a little longer. Tell your wife it is an experiment - then let her realize that time can help brews in a big way (to a certain extent)!

B

Congrats, now its time to step up the pipeline so patience is easier.

That first batch of brews or two make it very hard to wait.

Congrats on the brew!! What will your 2nd batch be??

I myself and looking forward to uncapping in two weeks!

Solbes is right! I am DYING to try it.

My second has been in primary for 2 weeks. It's a 1-gal scaled down take on Airborneguy's Atonement Brown Porter. It's not attenuating to where I want it to, but I tweaked some things from the recipe, so that could be why. OG was within a couple points, but FG is still riding a little high. Eh, good mouthfeel session porters aren't all bad, so if I can't get the numbers where I want them, it'll be ok.

Unfortunately, I am limited to 1 gallon brews right now and the budget leaves no room for expansion, so a pipeline is not really an option. I'm hoping the beer disappears fast enough that I can use that as leverage with SWMBO to get at least a 5-gal setup going.

one of my favorite things about my first batch was tasting it at week 2, 3, 4, and 5. The changes were weird to say the least. Ok at 2, good at 3, great at 4, then kinda less good at 5. You really can learn a lot doing it that way.

Except a 1 gal batch only goes into about 4.5 bombers. I don't see it lasting to 5 weeks. I need to hide a few from SWMBO and tell her they bottlebombed or something.

next time you should pull an "ooops" and accidentally make 5 gallons. "My gosh, looks like I bought 7 lbs more extract than I needed."

Well, I'm hoping the supply/demand equation will lead to her signing off on the extra expenditures. She really likes it, so maybe I should drink it all, really fast, so she gets pissed that she never gets any. Then she'll let me make more.

Back