Beer/cider blend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Thoughts on brewing a 4 gallon batch of beer, letting it ferment, then at the end of primary adding a gallon of apple cider? I would let the cider ferment out as well.

Was thinking of mashing the beer high, like 158F to go for a malty brew. Then, if the cider drys it out, I won't end up with a too-dry beer.

Hoping that the cider will leave some flavor behind as well.

Has anyone ever tried this?

The cider would ferment out completely, I think, and I doubt that you would get much apple flavor. You could knock out the yeast before mixing, then force carb. Or you could pasteurize the bottles to stop the yeast.

Search for graff.

Ahhh, so it has a name! Perfect, it must work then.

The cider would ferment out completely, I think, and I doubt that you would get much apple flavor. You could knock out the yeast before mixing, then force carb. Or you could pasteurize the bottles to stop the yeast.

Why does hard apple cider have flavor? Surely some must remain. Also thinking about "dry-appling" it in secondary.

I will be kegging, so I did consider just adding apple juice concentrate then chilling it down to serving temps.

Ahhh, so it has a name! Perfect, it must work then.

Why does hard apple cider have flavor? Surely some must remain. Also thinking about "dry-appling" it in secondary.

I will be kegging, so I did consider just adding apple juice concentrate then chilling it down to serving temps.
I have done hard cider the past three years and unless you stop the yeast it ferments out as dry as champagne with little to no apple flavor. I've used Nottingham and Wyeast 1056 with the same results. Most commercial hard ciders are back sweetened.

Blended cider and beer is drunk over here in pubs - we call it snakebite. George bush tried to order one in Liverpool and was denied. Reason? Most pubs won't serve it because people get very, very drunk off it - the blend of sweetness and strength are lethal, especially if you add blackcurrent cordial :p

I have done hard cider the past three years and unless you stop the yeast it ferments out as dry as champagne with little to no apple flavor. I've used Nottingham and Wyeast 1056 with the same results. Most commercial hard ciders are back sweetened.

I have made a couple of batches of Edwort's apfelewein. At first it drinks like a dry champagne. I have some bottles that have aged for 8 months, and then apple come back. Its really good now.

Blended cider and beer is drunk over here in pubs - we call it snakebite. George bush tried to order one in Liverpool and was denied. Reason? Most pubs won't serve it because people get very, very drunk off it - the blend of sweetness and strength are lethal, especially if you add blackcurrent cordial :p

My personal favorite: A hoppy IPA/Pale Ale (Harpoon IPA, etc) and cider. Or an oktoberfest beer/marzen beer mixed half with cider.

M_C

I have made a couple of batches of Edwort's apfelewein. At first it drinks like a dry champagne. I have some bottles that have aged for 8 months, and then apple come back. Its really good now.
That is good to know. I haven't been able to keep a bottle around more than a few months so I will make an effort to age some of this year's batch.

sunday morning i just brewed graff, did a partial boil of 3 gallons of a stout and then topped off with 3 gallons of apple juice and pitched a california ale yeast, bubbling away as i type

Back