BeerSmith 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the countdown clock.

So stoked for this. I think there are a lot of tweeks that will make it more user friendly and powerful.

Hopefully not too many bugs to fix. Are there any beta testers on HBT?

even though I've known exactly what day it comes out, I still keep checking the site. I'm scarily excited about this.

Check page #2...:drunk:

Haha I made it through page 1 and got too excited to read the rest.

sounds like its really solid and the new features are great.

I've been watching Brad's videos. Seems like there are a few new features (malt by %) but mostly an update in look (buttons)and user functionality(tabs).

So, I just got an email regarding BeerSmith 2.0, saying it's going to be a new program, not an upgrade. If that is the case, will I have to buy it again? I just bought 1.4 about a month ago and I really don't want to buy it again. Any thoughts?

Existing BeerSmith 1.4 Users

If you have bought BeerSmith 1 at any point in the last 8 years since its release, you can upgrade for a price of $16.95 during the preorder period or $19.95 after launch. Note that the preorder price ($16.95) is only available until the launch date, and the full upgrade price ($19.95) is only going to be available until 31 August 2011. You need your registration key to upgrade.

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2011/05/19/beersmith-2-release-date-pricing-and-preorder/

But will I still be able to run this from my thumb drive?

If you are running it on the same computer you shouldn't have any problems running it from a thumb drive, I run mine from a network share. You can redirect the storage location of the recipe/equipment/etc... files.

I am running the beta on two different Linux OS's and a Windows box depending on where I am at. The data is being shared/synced using dropbox.

If you are running it on the same computer you shouldn't have any problems running it from a thumb drive, I run mine from a network share. You can redirect the storage location of the recipe/equipment/etc... files.

I am currently running it from a stick that I can take anywhere and plug it in. it's been a few years, but I think I ran a "Portable converter" on it. The software runs fine, and my recipes are stored on the thumb drive as well (reminds me to back it up again..)

I can take it to work, in my den, in the garage, in the family room watching tv, on a friends computer or an anyone's computer at a brewday. It's so handy!

I am currently running it from a stick that I can take anywhere and plug it in. it's been a few years, but I think I ran a "Portable converter" on it. The software runs fine, and my recipes are stored on the thumb drive as well (reminds me to back it up again..)

I can take it to work, in my den, in the garage, in the family room watching tv, on a friends computer or an anyone's computer at a brewday. It's so handy!

This is a great idea. I may have to try and set this up.

Will our recipes be transferred in the upgrade or do I have to save and then import llater?

Will our recipes be transferred in the upgrade or do I have to save and then import llater?

Call me paranoid, but I'm exporting and backing them up either way :)

It would be nice if it would do it automatically though, I'm curious too.

There is an import wizard, all your recipes/equipment/inventory will come over to the new version.

I'm envisioning about 10,000 homebrewers sucking an impossible vaccum on Brad Smith's server in about 2 hours.

BTW, just downloaded 1.4 installer. Just in case.

He put a 2nd download server up to help ease the load.

Also, you can run the 2 versions side by side on the same computer so no worries there. No need to backup your old stuff, it's not going anywhere when the new version is installed. And if you want something to come over to the new version that the Import Wizard doesn't handle, then just do an Export in BS1.4, then an Import in BS2, simple as that. :mug:

I'm envisioning about 10,000 homebrewers sucking an impossible vaccum on Brad Smith's server in about 2 hours.

I was wondering how he was doing on server capacity, yeah... Given the preorder process, he knows how many people will be trying to download it, so he shouldn't be surprised -- but that doesn't mean he's prepared either :)

Thanks for the extra info wyazz.

I wonder just how many copies of Beersmith are out there? 1000s? Tens of thousands?

Thanks for the extra info wyazz.

I wonder just how many copies of Beersmith are out there? 1000s? Tens of thousands?

No worries!

I'm sure there thousands, that will easily grow now that he's added Mac support and updated the program. It's really one of the only brewing programs that is still actively maintained/developed.

I am upgrading from the previous version of Bsmith (pre-paid yesterday). When I entered my old product key into Bsmith 2 it wasn't accepted. Any idea where to get the new product key?

Back