Is it worth going elecrtic right away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixalated

Reaction score
I am very new to brewing, only brewed twice. I am already thinking about all grain, but know that my stove will struggle to do 5 boils. The way I see it, my options are to either get a propane burner, or look into electric.

What attracts me to electric, is the ability to move the brew operations out of the kitchen and into the basement. How difficult is it? I looked though the threads, and most of you guys seems to be doing huge boils with quite a lot of equipment involved. Is it worth considering electric for just 5 gallon batches?

A heatstick is pretty easy to make. With a 1500 or 2000 watt stick, stove top boils should be a snap. If you have access to two 20A circuits, you can run two heatsticks in the basement.

You don't have to go complex to go all electric.

I live in a highrise condo (may or may not be relevant). How can I find out if I have 20A circuits?

Plug a lamp or something into the outlet you want to use and turn it on. go over the to breaker and start flipping the breakers that say 20 and 15. Once the lamp turns off you found that circuit. Take note of that breakers rating. rinse and repeat for the second circuit.

ayoungrad,

there should be a circuit breaker panel in your unit. Check the breakers, they are labeled. Standard household circuits are 20 amp. Depending on the year of your building the kitchen and bathroom should be GFCI protected either at the panel or at the outlet. Be careful when thinking about using more than one element. Most apartment kitchens only have one circuit even if there are two or more outlets.

2000w heastick in conjunction with my dinky 1/2 size apartment stove and have no issues boiling 8 gallons.

Back