Think i can get something good out these ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here. Just started home brewing about a couple months ago and I just started my first 5 gallon batch. I have already done two 1 gallon batches courtesy of brooklyn brew shop. Now I have a one gallon fermenter to do small batches with and I wanted to get your input if I can brew up something with what i have left over?

1lb - Wheat grain
1lb - pilsen dried malt extract
1oz - hallertauer hops
dry ale yeast.

Your help would be appreciated!

That is not a lot of ingredients. The only this I could think of that may come close would be 3 gallons of Berliner Weisse. That would require lactic acid too. A BW is a low ABV around 2.8-3.2% half wheat, half pils with nearly no hops, soured with lactic acid.

If this is for a one gallon batch that should be enough fermentables. You'll have to do a mini mash of the wheat and I wouldn't use a whole ounce of hops in this batch, unless you want a highly hopped wheat beer.

Thanks for the response and help! Yes this will be only for a 1 gallon batch. So its sounds like I'll be attempting an american wheat beer. I do have new clean dry yeast. Should I use about 1/4oz of the hops then? Also, since i am so new to this, what would be your suggestion on doing the mini mash?

Thank you soo much Blizzard! Im 30 min into the boil right now. So far so good!

This is a great thread. Makes me want to make a 1 gallon batch! Maybe not a wheat, but it seems like a fun little experiment.

It'll be a nice drinking beer that you can have several of with out falling directly on your A$$! I am actually trying to tone down my brews because of that reason. I like to drink and those high ABV have been kicking me a round lately.

so i had the first one of these today and it carbonated well, but it has a kind of sour taste to it. any ideas why this happened?

Back