Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone try replacing the vienna with victory? Or added about a 1lb of victory?

How does it taste? Nuttier? Overpowering?

I was thinking of using 1lb of victory as a replacement for the 1lb of vienna. I know it will be a bit darker, but I'm thinking that bready/nutty flavor might compliment the Cascade hops.

Made my first batch of this epic recipe on veterans day. Had some mash temp issues, little on the low side. Came in at 1042. Used my new ferm chiller :ban:to ferment around 62* and used US-05 given the notty issues. After 11 days, gravity was at 1007 (4.5%). Gonna let it sit around 68 for another week and a half or so before bottling. Sample tasted great and was very clear. Expecting this to be my best brew yet :)

It was a bad packet of yeast that caused the problems (along with the fact that I was checking it on the third, fourth and fifth day to see if it had started or not).
But my guess is that your beer will turn out fantastic, cliffyj!

This must be a keeper jbair1, i would like to get 2 or 3 recipes that i can brew over and over.
Haus Pale Ale, might be another 1

This must be a keeper jbair1, i would like to get 2 or 3 recipes that i can brew over and over.
Haus Pale Ale, might be another 1

I really like it even though I usually prefer Pales and IPA's. I always keep it in stock because my neighbors and yellow beer drinking friends like it.

I'm trying it with blueberry flavoring this time.

Alrighty, so I brewed this yesterday and all went well.

img00047201011291933.jpg

This is what I have now. I rehydrated two packages of nottingham yeast. At about the 27 hour mark right now. Should I be concerned about the bottle on the left? I have an extra packet of yeast that I could rehydrate and pitch if absolutely necessary, but want some opinions

No - I've found Notty varies wildly from pack to pack. I did like you, split a 10-gallon batch and one finished in 2 days, the other took almost 2 weeks.

-Joe

Thanks Joe.

Stupid question #2 (this is what you get when you use dry yeast for the first time in a few years). I've been doing 10 gallon batches in two better bottles, and using a smack pack in each predominantly. With this batch since I used Notty, I rehydrated the packages per Palmers instructions (2 packages in a cup of water), and poured it into the two fermenters as evenly as possible.

Is there a better way of doing this? I didn't want to pitch into the boil kettle after cooling, because of how much gets left in the trub, I didn't want to lose yeasties. Should I have had two different rehydration batches going?

All of this leads me to the thought that I've gotta get my head around doing some real starters in the future.

Oh you rehydrated the two in the same liquid? Well that's an interesting result. There's certainly nothing wrong with what you did IMO. Yeast are a living thing. Maybe one half got upset that they didn't get poured in first ;)

Either way, I'd just not worry about it and check on them in a week.

-Joe

I followed http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html which said two packets. There is a bit of activity in the airlock, but nothing like the bottle on the right.

I will leave it be and keep monitoring. If my christmas bonus beats my expectations perhaps a Conical is in my future as well. Oh the many things I would love to buy to make my mancave/brewcave/garage complete

Thanks again

I brewed this up today, with double the centennial hop additions, and it's pretty tasty from the pot. Pitched on a notty yeast cake.

Your pics made me happy, since mine was way hazy into the fermentors!

~M~

FYI, did the extract version with LE addition.

Served it at my Christmas Party this past weekend, only 4 weeks after brewing (bottled), and it was a HUGE hit. Everyone loved it!

Thanks BM.. this is going to be a staple, cheap, quick and easy.

This should get you a very similar beer:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Hi! Just a quick question:
How long should we steep the grain for on the extract version? I am assuming that's what we have to do with the Cara-Pils/Dextrine right?

Also, when I add the extract, would you suggest adding it at the beginning of the boil or at the end? Sorry about the noob questions - but would like to try and make this one~

thanks~

Also, when I add the extract, would you suggest adding it at the beginning of the boil or at the end? Sorry about the noob questions - but would like to try and make this one~

thanks~

Someone in a previous post, put up a late extract version of the recipe. That's what I used, and it turned out fantastic. You just have to adjust your hop additions a little.

Went into hoptech to pick up my grain. Someone came in after me (I was told literally 10 minutes had gone by) with the exact same recipe. Appears to be a winnar.

Btw, who were you fellow hoptech-er?

Brewed this up today. I was shocked at how light in color this beer is. It was my first biab so I am not sure how well I did, but I kept it within 2 or 3 degrees of 150 for the full hour. Sampled some as I was racking it onto yeast. Good hop bitterness and a nice wheat taste. Mouthfeel is pretty light. Will see how it is post ferment.

I have a question for everyone who has made this. I have not used any cascade or centennial hops in any of the brews I've made so far, so here's my question - does this beer have a grapefruit or strong citrus taste? I made one beer from a kit that had Glacier and it was too citrusy for my tastes. Thanks in advance and hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.

I brewed 10gal of this today! Bubbling away at 68f and cannot wait to taste it! Do you gelatin this one? Thanks BM

Brewed the extract version last Saturday. I changed the hop additions around a bit. Tasted delicious. Can't wait to bottle this one.

Brewing this tomorrow...teaching some friends to do All grain and figured this would be a good one to drink in a few weeks!

I just brewed my second 10g AG batch a few days ago. The first batch came in around 4.5% ABV. I was a little higher on OG due to higher efficiency than the recipe accounts for, but it was the first beer I've brewed that got a thumbs up from my BMC (really just M64) SWMBO. She said it was still just a tad strong flavored for her taste :rolleyes:, but she liked it. I find it a tasty beer. Light, clear, and easy to drink multiples of.

I don't have my notes near my right now, but IIRC, the second batch I adjusted the original recipe for 85% efficiency, then cut the recipe to 80% of that. Basically a 20% cut, then another 20% off that. OG was 1.027. :eek: Should be right on target with her MGD 64 though.

I'm not complaining, I can make this stuff for pennies compared to buying it, and it's that much more that I get to brew.

Finally got a pic up:

CentennialBlonde2.jpg

Used Safale US-05. This was a pretty crappy pour - I normally get more head (bwahahaha) but this beer clears extremely well after carbing for about a week and then spending 3 weeks in the fridge. I didn't use any Irish Moss/Whirfloc.

Can't wait to make it again! :mug:

I just ordered a bunch of stuff for brewing AG. 10 gallon Polarware brew kettle, mash tun, etc. I also bought everything for building a kegerator. I just need to get a fridge when I get home from my deployment in a couple of weeks. Is this a good recipe to try my first AG batch? I don't see why not. I figure I could start this recipe when I get home, and while it's fermenting, get my kegerator set up! Would this be a good recipe to do a BIAB in? Thanks!

I'm brewing this up tomorrow, but I have a quick question:

If I leave for vacation on Saturday and don't come back for 3 weeks, will it be okay sitting in the primary? Thanks for any help

If I leave for vacation on Saturday and don't come back for 3 weeks, will it be okay sitting in the primary? Thanks for any help

Should be fine... Mine sat in primary for 2 weeks while I was on vacation and then racked to secondary when I got back, left it for a week then kegged. It tasted great.

I let almost all my beers sit for 3 weeks in the primary. I don't use a secondary and I have been getting great results. This beer is just capable of being turned around quickly due to the lower grain bill, and secondary will help clarity in that short turnaround time. :mug:

Back