Apple-Raspberry cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1 gallon batch

3 12oz. cans frozen 100% juice apple-raspberry concentrate
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp. yeast energizer
EC-1118
water to 1 gallon

What do you think? Looking for a sorta apfelwein-with-a-reddish-hue-type-cider.

Sounds great. I love that you aren't adding more sugar to bump up the alcohol, though, being a raspberry juice, it might already have sugar in it.

Well 3 cans for a 1 gallon brew is definitely adding sugar haha but that does sound good.

Sounds great. I love that you aren't adding more sugar to bump up the alcohol, though, being a raspberry juice, it might already have sugar in it.

Well 3 cans for a 1 gallon brew is definitely adding sugar haha but that does sound good.

I had some dextrose ready in case I wanted to add it, but I was looking for something ~6-7% ABV. I think (can't remember off the top of my head), the OG was 1.052 and I'm assuming this will ferment down to <1.000, so I didn't add any.

But, boy that EC-1118 works quick. I think it finished fermenting (haven't checed FG yet) in about 6 days. I'm gonna let it sit till it clears and then bottle it up with ~1oz. corn sugar.

What I do hate though, is that juice marked as "Apple-Raspberry Juice" is more like a mix of mostly Apple, with Grape, etc. etc. etc. with just a splash of raspberry.

obligatory cider pr0n (in the middle - show mead on the left, white grape/raspberry wine on the right):

Apple_Raspberry.jpg

I changed my mind and I'm gonna rack this onto some fresh raspberries tonight for about a week or so, and then maybe some oak for another week?

so I tossed in 12 oz of fresh raspberries, unwashed, and didn't use campden. I'm tempting fate :D

actually, I'm assuming the ~7.5% ABV will knock out any potential nasties....

I'll probably rack when the raspberries lose their color, and then age until clear, and then bottle.

well, I tempted fate and I think I lost.

I racked off the raspberries after a couple of weeks and topped off; and everything was looking normal (no activity)

Today the darn thing is bubbling away and there's a mini-krausen :mad:

I might hit it with some campden and Kmeta, but I think I may be infected.

How would you know? This has me wondering about one of my batches now. What makes you think it's an infection? Just because it started bubbling again. You did rack it onto a sugar source. So maybe that is why it is bubbling again.

yes, I racked it onto a sugar source on 3/2/10 and saw very little activity.

Then I racked off the raspberries on 3/13/10, and saw no activity until two days ago.

I do have another theory. It's been pretty cold and the last couple days have been really warm. Maybe the yeasties went dormant for awhile and it's taken them this long to get back up to speed?

The activity has slowed down, and I'm gonna rack onto campden and kmeta soon, and see what happens. It's only a gallon batch, no reason to dump.

Had the first bottle of this today - very good! I oaked it for a month or so with an oz. of light oak chips.

Very drinkable cider - I imagine this would be very good on tap....

Latest posts

Back