Buying equipment V-Vessel???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pozeman

Reaction score
I'm looking to start Homebrewing and have scoured the internet reading tons of articles and advice. (YES! I get it... STERILIZATION is important and air is BAD!). I've noticed the teardrop fermenter called the V-Vessel. Anyone have any advice for a newbie as to which route to go on a set-up (traditional v. teardrop). I've been around Homebrew enough to know that this will not be something that I do once and scrap... so the increase in initial cost doesn't concern me, IF it is worth the money.

Any comments on equipment are welcomed.

Get a plastic bucket.
It is easy, safe, and ever useful. And it's cheap... unless you pay shipping to Japan, then it is cheapER.

If you go for a bucket set up first and then learn what you want and what you need then you can always put the buckets to good use later.

That way you don't waste any $$$

I haven't seen that brand, but it sounds like a conical. The idea behind a conical is having a trap at the bottom so the trub can be removed without racking to another vessel. The cheap ones are unusable, the stainless steel ones are very expensive.

I know a few (maybe 3 out of 100 homebrewers) people who have them. It doesn't seem to improve the brew in the slightest at a large increase in cost.

Thanks for the input, seemed like a too good to be true idea. I'll use the saved money for a kegging system...

Being the optimist, I'll throw my two cents in: The upside of something like a V-vessel is that you reduce the threat of contamination by racking to secondary and teven tertiary. It also makes your life a lot easier by not having to was two or three carboys, auto siphons and other equipment. I'm acutally considering it since I have a two-year old who is always VERY interested in playing with the brewing equipment when I'm racking. So far the guy at my LHBS gave me positive feedback on it, but said it was expensive and not the best thing for everyone ( I like the fact that he never tries to upsell me, he's honest about costs).

david_42 said:
the stainless steel ones are very expensive.

I know a few (maybe 3 out of 100 homebrewers) people who have them. It doesn't seem to improve the brew in the slightest at a large increase in cost.

Yeah but... but... If you REALLY enjoy the convenience and simplicity of extract and mini mash brewing, that steel fermenter is the closest you're ever gonna' get to a "beer sculpture", lol.

Yes, I AM thinking about it :ban:

Back